Author Topic: Any Swindon Allotment holders about  (Read 84683 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Re: Any Swindon Allotment holders about
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2008, 15:43:17 »
Had a really good day today, My husbands friend who made my raised beds for the greenhouse was in a good mood and manged to make me 4 more, the perfect size for my lettuce, radish, carrots and things so I am very chuffed, just have to fill them now lol.  I will hopefully get them down to the lottie tomorrow fill them up and get a few things on the go there.  My greenhous eis so full at the moment so I need to get things in the ground like my onions.  It made my day

The OH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2008, 20:29:05 »
Good stuff, i could do with having a look at them to see how they should be done!

Fluff, work are throwing away a stack of pallets, i've got 3 in the car but do you fancy coming back with me and picking up another load?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 20:39:45 by The OH »

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2008, 20:33:51 »
I would not have a clue how he makes them, but they look good very similar to your one but its a bit smaller cause I am shortie and cannot reach both sides otherwise lol.  I am going to hopefully have them painted with wood preserve tonight and down the lottie tomorrow so please feel free to have a look.  Bless my husbands friend he knew that my hubby is useless with anything woodwork and did most of them without me having to ask.  He made two from a large wooden chest he had, and then two  more from pallets, they have turned out really well.  Little does he know that now he is going to have to make the rest for me so that they match lol.  I just have to try and get some more pallets now cause I have run out, off to cheney manor tomorrow to scrounch lol

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2008, 20:44:23 »
Fluff are you going down to the lottie tomorrow at all.  Hopefully I am going to get down there and make it look semi respectable, I have been ever so lazy

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2008, 20:56:21 »
No probs will travel back with you once you've dropped off those three :))

I'm at work 10 til 8pm again tomorrow so no lottie for me until possibly Friday providing the weather stays ok....Saturday it is supposed to pour down :((

The OH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2008, 21:17:16 »
Did you see that shed on the wicks web site?  The plastic one we saw has been reduced, still seems like alot but at least it could be packed up and sold or somthing if you ever give up the allotment.  I'm thinking once a wooden one has been nailed together it would be hard to take down.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/154395

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2008, 21:18:41 »
I think its the argos website has the sheds the same size but in wood they are on special too and homebase

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2008, 21:23:20 »
Did you see that shed on the wicks web site?  The plastic one we saw has been reduced, still seems like alot but at least it could be packed up and sold or somthing if you ever give up the allotment.  I'm thinking once a wooden one has been nailed together it would be hard to take down.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/154395

Can we go take another look at these on Saturday? I think the wooden shed I was thinking of was £125 at wickes...not seen it cheaper any where else but you're right about the plastic one being easier to take back up...only problem I could foresee is if there was a really bad wind.....might blow it over

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Track/Overlap-Apex-Shed/invt/543343
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 21:25:43 by Fluffnco »

Superted

• Not So New ...
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2008, 14:23:16 »
hi fluff n co

did u manage to get a plot at Hatton Grove.

I have a plot there, the one that has been dyg ove and has the big shed at the end of it.

i got the shed from freecycle all i had to do was dismantle it and put it back together. it cost me petrol money only.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2008, 14:56:27 »
hI superted
I am also at hatton grove, I am the two sites with the giant green compost bin and tyres on it at the moment, hopefully soon the raised beds as well, if o/h gets them painted soon

Superted

• Not So New ...
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2008, 15:01:49 »
hi caseylee

i havent been up there for 2 week, i share my plot with my father in law as he is a pensioner he gets it even cheaper, we finished our first rough dig a feww weeks back and dug a trench and half filled it with compost for the runner beans to go into.

i called the council yesterday about getting a delivery of chipped bark to the site and i am currently waiting for them to get back to me. as i know in reading and basingstoke the local councils give it to you free.

i might pop up there over the weekend as i only live in Ashley Close ( 1 minutes walk)
 ;)
SP

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2008, 15:46:18 »
caseylee/fluffnco - have you looked on ebay for a shed? There is one on there at the moment - has to be collected from Newbury - may be too far but.............?  Its an 8 x 6 wooden shed. Current bid is £56 - 4.5 hrs left. 
Twinkletoes

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2008, 16:12:28 »
Thanks twinkletoes, but i just managed to get a pallet in my car lol i wish I could fit a shed in it.  My hubby has promised me a new shed on our wedding anniversary so I can wait  a bit longer.

Hi superted, I know what you mean I popped up there last Saturday but the ground was just do muddy I couldn't get anything done, and my brats were tired and winding me up so I only stayed a few hours.  If you get any joy from he council please let me know cause woodbark is what I am after aswell, so if they say yes I will give them a ring aswell.  I have been trying to get hold of emma the lady that deals with our site but she is off till the 10/03.  I want to find out about fencing cause I have cleared some blackberry bushes away, but the house that looks on to my lottie has no fence there just a little chicken wire so its not safe.  I have been told they are responsible for the security of the site and the surrounding fence so I am going to push for that.  I think you and me and fluff should find out how to form a committee so that we can apply for the grants to redo our site.  Its a lovely site but has been left to go bad.  I was told that one of the plots there is the section that as you drive in the gates on side that is terrible overgrown is actually plot 13, good luck to anyone that gets that.  Let me know how it goes with the council, also I have been told that the council can arrange delivery or let us know how to get horse manure to the site, so might get some more info on that.

The OH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2008, 18:03:57 »
Hi Superted, pleased to meet you.

I doubt i'll be down the allotment for more than an hour or so this weekend, i finish work at 22:00 Friday night and start again 22:00 sunday night so not much of a weekend for me :(

Me and fluff are going to have a look around swindon's shed shops though, i've got enough pallets to put it on and some more to make a compost heap so when i do get down there they'll be plenty of things to hit with a hammer, has to be better than digging!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 18:06:05 by The OH »

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2008, 00:31:36 »
spent ages typing out a answer on here earlier  on today and then must have hit wrong button and lost it :((......anyways...hiya Superted...posh allotment you have compared to mine n the OH's :D we'll get there though ( given time) and yep I got plot's 5 &6. Figured that as they reckoned it was 'hard to let' these fab plots i'd take two and at least try to keep the weeds down :) No figured that two ( one full plot) would at least allow me to grow most of what i'd like to grow as well as have a shed and possibly green house or polytunnel so the OH can grow his chillies :D If it get's too much or I have 'bitten off more than I can chew' then I can always give up a half plot...harder to actually get one in the future i'd say ( especially if we band together and get some good fencing etc around there...water on tap etc ;) I reckon that site could be something pretty special if we all give them gip at the council offices :D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2008, 07:41:56 »
I agree when I started last year there was no one on the site, now its starting to fill up, byt summer we will all be slaving away and it will look lovely, and there will then be a waiting list for our plot lol.  Have left a message for emma to call me regarding the fencing so fingers crossed will keep you updated.

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2008, 09:23:55 »
I think Emma said something about being away all of last week when I spoke to her about the Hatton Grove plots being available so she should be back this week I think. It would be cool if we could get good fencing and deliveries of manure and bark/compost etc to the site on a regular basis.

I think once we have a few veggies poking their heads out of the soil and the sun on our side that site is going to look awesome :D I'm attacking it slowly....been informed that growing swede/turnip actually kills off couch grass roots as they don't get along in the same soil area so guess what i'll be growing ;)

slowly but surely is my motto. I'm not going to break my neck or back trying to get it all sorted out this year.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2008, 09:29:37 »
I am also taking it slow at the moment, I would love it to look like a massive veg patch straight away, but I am going to try and do it properly, My raised beds are being painted today so hopefully I can get them down there soon and get soemthings in, I just wish it would dry out a bit more

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2008, 09:37:35 »
seen a no dig way of growing straight away and reclaiming land too......need cardboard ( same size as plot you want to clear and also black plastic to cover and plant through....place cardboard on the plot where you want to grow veg, stack with rotted manure/compost, dig a trench around the edge of the area and place soil on top of the compost then cover with the black plastic and weight edges down with either soil or bricks/old wood whatever...plant direct through small slits made in plastic. As the plants grow they break up the soil below and the black plastic and cardboard kill off the weeds below by end of year you have a cleared plot ready to dig over for the winter :)

presently waiting for a water butt to be delivered or i'd be down at the lottie now :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:52:37 by Fluffnco »

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2008, 10:00:35 »
and said waterbutt has just been delivered....just got to work out how to get it into the car and we're flying lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal