Author Topic: Any Swindon Allotment holders about  (Read 84522 times)

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
Re: Any Swindon Allotment holders about
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2008, 18:09:44 »
It was great to meet you and your gorgeous boys Casey lee :) Hope my accent didn't frighten you off ;)

I spent a bit of time after you left marking out plot and paths but not sure that that tree is actually meant to be in mine  :o never mind it is now  ;)

Cut back some of the honeysuckle rambling over the fence of both plots and foudn something that looks like a small fruit bush although i could be wrong growing on plot 6....thinking I might rotavate the plots if i can get a decent hire rate to cut time and then just pick couch grass roots etc out afterwards....OH's mum thinks I have bit off more than I can chew :(( I'll just have to show her won't I? :D

I would have stayed longer than I did but I really needed the loo and we don't have anything that I know of so I tootled off home at around 3.45 :)...LOVED IT!! :D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2008, 18:19:58 »
i'm glad you liked it there.  I was there for about 2 hours today my where we have dug the soil  it was so muddy and the boys were tired bless them.  I am trying to get my in laws rotovator at the moment to get the second plot done cause i can't wait till summer lol.  It does look a bit daunting when you see the naked plot, mine still does now even after digging one side, but once its done then its just upkeep.  I am going to contact the council on monday about the fencing cause it does need to be done. 
I am going back down tomorrow to see if it dries up a bit more and see if I can get any more beds marked out on the second plot, might get the other half to bring down the lawn mower and see if I can get rid some of that gras thats knee high on my plot.  I came home today and planted my parsnips and leeks, don't know if anyone has told you about newspaper pots, they are brilliant cause you don't disturb the root when replanting.  I swear by them now, and use them for everything.  I spend most evenings in front of the telly folding them, it keeps me occupied, plus I don't need to space things out of thin things when planting cause they are in the pots

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2008, 18:38:42 »
OH said earlier he hoped he hadn't frightened you away when he arrived with his mum. I said you'd probably been there a lot longer than me :D

I've been looking online for a shed or green house as I really think we need some where warm to sit when it's windy and have a cuppa plus I could do with some where to store the tools.....might just spend some of my hard earned wages and buy one although OH might not be too keen on that idea....I've not found anything to put on freecycle yet so can't really ask for a shed or greenhouse lol

I'll probably pop down tomorrow to complete that honeysuckle pruning....looked like it was going to rain at the time i decided to leave then it became sunny again once I got home lol...typical  ::) Would have stayed much longer if i'd had a shed :D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2008, 18:51:11 »
Thats what I am after at the moment, I had a greenhouse for the site but the frame was so weka I didden't trust it with my kids round so I threw it way.  I have a shed in my garden at the moment, and I have nealry convinced my other half to let me have it for the lottie, cause he never uses it, except to store the lawnmower.  I told him I will buy him a little 6'4 one for that, and hes nearly at the point of agreeing.  I am hoping that its not windy tomorrow cause I ahve tons to do there but I just hate thes wind cause the kids moan, when its sunny and even cold they don't mind its just the wind.   Have a look in trade it aswell for a greenhouse thats where I got my first one from that in my garden at home.  I spend every day in it, it was 20c in there today so I closed the door and did my planting.
No he didden't frighten me at all, wait till you see my husband, my little stringbean as I call him lol.  His mum seemed very very nice.  I also want to get a table and chairs down there aswell the kids one broke my back today.

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2008, 19:13:16 »
Hiya, glad you both had a good day. I'm pooped and the kids are too. We got to the lottie at about 12.30 after picking up some bits.
  Have to admit considering we were there till 17.30  it didn't look like we got alot done LOL
  Got all the edges round the fence tidied up, pulled out all the old broad beans that had been left, took down the runner bean canes. Put up some guttering onto the shed and re-situated the water butt and added another one, and managed to dig over about 2x1meters god I hate couch grass. Its gonna be slow, but we will get there. The kids loved it althoguh it did start to get cold at about 16.00.
  Gonna have a chinese now  :)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2008, 19:18:40 »
HI gardening gal
My boys were so wingy today so we were only down there for just under 2 hrs, I would lof loved to have stayed longer, but my plot looked just like mud mud mud and more mud.  I managed to put my sheets down for 4 no dig beds and my boys went weed hunting and found 35 carrots that the previous owner had left onsite, they were all wrinkled but they loved looking for them.  Imet my new n/b and her o/h very lovley people and  it will be lovely during summer to sit down and have achat when our plots are up and running.
You soundlike you got a lot done today, I felt like I did nothing, well at least its school on monday and my oh day off so I will be down the lottie with my lawnmover sorting out the grass, that is the size of my son lol.

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2008, 19:57:39 »
Hiya gardening gal...glad you had a productive day too :) If we'd had an onsite loo I'd have been at the lottie until the sun set lol...was good fun though :))

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2008, 08:39:28 »
Morning Ladies....what a fab day it is outside....sun is out and the birds are singing....good day for allotmenteering me thinks  ;D Going to look at getting some wood together n some compost to make a raised bed today...think even other half is interested now there are things he can do with a hammer lol

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2008, 09:10:01 »
I am thinking of going down to the lottie today but my boys are in a mood so will see how they go, have so much to do

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2008, 09:20:33 »
Well I'll defo be down there once I've done a little bit of running around. Want to go to the allotments shop and take a look around plus we have to call over Oh's mums to give he mother's day pressie and pick up wood for the raised bed (if she has any that is suitable)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2008, 10:00:25 »
oooh allotment shop where abouts is that

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2008, 19:04:36 »
oooh allotment shop where abouts is that

aww sorry only just seen this :( the lottie shop is at pickard fields allotments I think but it's for swindon allotment and leisure garden association members and you have to give your membership number I think when you purchase....as it was we didn't get there today as we bought wood n nails for my new raised bed and also hit aldi where I went nuts and bought a pear tree, a pack containing a gooseberry, raspberry and blackcurrent bush, a handheld 3 prong one side/small hoe type affair on oppsite side, radish seeds, weed control fabric for the raised beds once filled and planted :)....We then went along to the lottie and i now have a rather posh raised bed :D Left when it threatened to rain and OH got whiny ;)

I've also planted peas in toilet roll middles, lettuce and parsley today and OH has planted numerous chilli seeds :)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2008, 19:10:24 »
I didden't make it down there today, my boys have been a nightmare.  I have got all my wood at home to make the raised beds, but oh is on so much overtime he has not started them yet.  I am going to attempt them next week if he doesn't.  How do I become a member there.  I planted parsnips, carrots, more leeks, chillies, cucumbers, flowers today.  I was lucky cause I manged to get tons of strawberries on freecycle and a established blackcurrant bush, I also bough my redcurrant and rasberry bushes at aldi I really need to get them down to the lottie and started.  I might go down tomorrow when the youngest is at school and do some work lol

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2008, 19:13:44 »
you can either go to one of their monthly meetings and join there ( that's what I did) or ring the guy I am gonna pm you name and telephone number of. He'll tell you what he needs you to do...cost is £4 for the year :)

Probably be wednesday before i can get down again and even then it will only be for an hour or so as I have work mid afternoon :( I wanna give up my job (whahhhhhh! ;))

Wed 5th march 6.30pm is the Wyvale open night for members only of s.a.l.g.a. 10% off most items.....pity I'm at work until blinking 8pm or I'd go . next meeting at the punjabi community centre is thursday 20th march at 7.30pm with the A.G.M and a talk by a Mr G Cottis from Devizes about Hardy cylamen and snowdrops
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 19:21:25 by Fluffnco »

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2008, 19:31:31 »
I will ring him tomorrow, that sounds brillaint, I have just  quit my last job and am now waiting to start my new part time, so I have some extra time to be at the lottie.  I have never worked part time so it feels strange having this time to do things, hence why I have planted so much already need to keep myself occupied.  I will be down there on wednesday with my oh its his days off and we are going all out to get it dug and ready as my onions need to go in soon

The OH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2008, 20:28:36 »
Well here i am in work doing a google search for 'allotment pallets compost heap' and up pops this thread!

I've been given the ok to take some pallets from work so with a bit of luck and a few hundred nails we might have a compost bin this weekend, only problem is i can only fit 3 in the car at a time, i'm gonna need a hand getting them out when i get home from work hun!

Oh btw i'm fluff's OH  ::)
and i didnt get whiny  :P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 20:31:20 by The OH »

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2008, 20:37:46 »
lol  listen I saw your raised bed you made today tell flufff to watch out cause I might nick you on my site, the only thing my husband can hit with a hammer is his hand lol.  My pallets have been in my garden for 4 weeks now and still waiting.  I might have to attempt it myself god help us all

The OH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2008, 20:42:52 »
It was pretty funny making it, bang one end with a hammer and the other end comes apart but it didnt turn out too bad in the end.  I think the more i make the better i'll get.

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2008, 21:12:40 »
Well here i am in work doing a google search for 'allotment pallets compost heap' and up pops this thread!

I've been given the ok to take some pallets from work so with a bit of luck and a few hundred nails we might have a compost bin this weekend, only problem is i can only fit 3 in the car at a time, i'm gonna need a hand getting them out when i get home from work hun!

Oh btw i'm fluff's OH  ::)
and i didnt get whiny  :P

Ok OK you didn't get whiny ;)) you just didn't wanna get wet n said so a few times :P lol and WOOHOO! re the pallets :)))

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2008, 09:03:15 »
well had planned on a morning down the lottie but work has changed my plans :( got to work extra hours today to cover for the manager going on a training course so working 10 til 8pm :( I'm not a happy bunny........on a more pleasant note with 3 pallets now awaiting transportation to the lottie I can feel a new compost bin coming on. I've got such a fab man :) :-*

Think I've resigned myself to buying a new shed. won't be huge or anything...just something to put the equipment in :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal