Author Topic: Any Swindon Allotment holders about  (Read 83886 times)

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
Re: Any Swindon Allotment holders about
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 21:18:46 »
now I knew there'd be a good reason for purchasing that swindon card ;)

Glad you drink coffee ( me too :D) Woohoo!! the excitement is going to keep me awake tonight lol :D

have you planned what you are going to be planting this year then?

Right will let you know tomorrow how i've got on once i've had a look around plot ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 22:11:27 by Fluffnco »

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 22:56:57 »
Coffee is the way foward lol, I have started planting all my bits in pots inthe kitchen, and my onions are nearly ready to go outside.  I am going to be doing carrots, potatoes, lettuce, courgettes, pumpkins,ect its my first year growing so I am trying everyhting now I have the space.  I hope you like the allotment, I have had no problems since I have been there, and I love going down with my boys and digging away, it will be gorgeous during cummer time.  Ignore the tyres on my site as you walk in they are my brave idea to grow potatoes, but of course swindon and the lovley rain have stopped me sorting them out, plus my poor compost bin is being held up by them at the moment due to the winds the other night lol.
Let me def know how it goes, i'm sure you will love it.

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 14:31:14 »
WOOHOO!! Howdy neighbour ;) Meet the proud occupant of plots 5 & 6 :D I can't stop grinning.

OH came down with me and we had a look around ( i picked up key on way home from work) then we dashed back to the offices and I signed up for the two half plots. There were only 3 available and the first one with all the brambles wasn't one of them which was a relief as I thought it might have been the one that the allotment officer had in mind for me. We took a good look at it and there's no fence between it and the next door neightbours garden so once cleared it would have opened up whole site..OH was saying oooo don't want this one......and I was saying if it's only one available I'm taking it lol.

OH has spent a small fortune on treating me to a small spade and fork I can manage and lots of other goodies I wasn't expecting. Took me to the garden centre at butterfly world straight from signing on the dotted lines :)

The soil is fab too just like you said :)...now I need to sort out compost bins and a water butt of some kind :)

WOOHOO! :D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 14:33:11 by Fluffnco »

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 15:30:53 »
Thats brilliant, I am plot number 3 and 4 so we are right next to each other.  See I told you you would love it.  The first plot is not very nice and in a right mess so I don't blame you for not looking at that one.    I got my compost bin from freecycle but the council do a excellant deal on them, you get the large bin, plus a small caddy box for 9.00 and that includes delivery, and wilko is the best for the water butts.  I am hopefully going down tot he lottie tomorrow to start clearing the weeds and getting my potatoe beds ready.  It nice to know that our allotment site is filling up, cause at least there is somene to have a chat to when you are hard at work. My husband did the same thing we I got my 2 plots, he spoiled me with new tools and all the seeds under the sun, so I was happy with that.
My name is Linda by the way.

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 16:28:11 »
Hi guys, I'm not in swindon but Highworth, not far away, but not as close as you two LOL
 I've just taken over a plot, but there is a long waiting list here, I'd been on this list for 3 or 4 years.
It is a half plot and costs £11 a year which I think is great. i've just put my name down for another plot now although it will probably be another 4 years LOL

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 16:32:43 »
Yay!...I'm planning on a visit to try to mark out the two plots...for some reason they aren't marked out. You would have thought that the council would have done that...can't be too hard  ::) Got to test out the new garden spade too, weather permitting, and begin a compost heap. I'll have to order a few composting bins but I think OH is going to try to get me some pallets to make composting bins out of too. I noticed that there is now a shed sited on pallets at far right of the allotments too :)

I am just so thrilled to have got them ( still grinning like the cheshire cat here) and the soil is lovely. Can't see it being too hard to dig the weeds out.

Good news that you are right next to me...how cool is that  ;D I'll bring a flask of coffee ;) probably need snorkel and flippers too judging by weather outside lol

BTW name is Del ( Adele on a sunday :P)

Welcome Gardening Gal...nice to have another to add to the chatter :)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 16:34:15 »
I think in swindon is the same now, I put my name down ages ago, and was told there was a long waiting list, but I think everyone at hatton grove left hence why they have been snapped up quickly,.  Everyone told me the soil was pure clay, but I dug up one of my sites and it beautiful soil, and very rich and dark, and same with my other site.  Allotments are very popular over here in swindon now

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 16:36:35 »
I know they haven't marked out the site at all, I had to use plot one and two and count the footsteps and then mark mine out, I am going to mark mine aswell tomorrow, if the heavens don't open first.  the boys have been begging to go down there for days but its been so muddy, but Iwill have to go tomorrow and sort out my compost bin

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 16:37:03 »
I was told by swindon allotment officer that if i didn't like the hatton site I'd be waiting 5 years for a plot  :o...when they said there were 3 half plots available I jumped at taking two. At least you have a plot to be going on with though  gardening gal :)

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 16:39:20 »
I know they haven't marked out the site at all, I had to use plot one and two and count the footsteps and then mark mine out, I am going to mark mine aswell tomorrow, if the heavens don't open first.  the boys have been begging to go down there for days but its been so muddy, but Iwill have to go tomorrow and sort out my compost bin

got any idea what time you'll be going down? or does it depend on kiddlettes n weather? :)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 17:10:58 »
Probley around 10ish if the weather permits, I can send you a message in the morning if you like and go from there, then we can get the plots measured out, and sort the site a bit

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 17:11:56 »
Well we grow veggies in our garden aswell so we should have enough to be getting on with at the moment.  
When the next plot comes up we will focus more on fruit.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 17:12:57 »
its suppossed to be sunshine tomorrow so will def be there if it is

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 17:15:15 »
I used to grow bits and bobs in my garden too before I had the allotment, so now I am looking foward to trying fruits aswell, I got my black currant, and red currant and rasberry bushed the other day so will see how they work out

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 17:31:25 »
Probley around 10ish if the weather permits, I can send you a message in the morning if you like and go from there, then we can get the plots measured out, and sort the site a bit

kk sounds like a plan to me...will hunt out me naff secateurs too :)

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 17:37:50 »
I just want to go mad n grow everything lol...been told we can grow fruit trees if they are dwarf varieties...yay! :D OMG...you have no idea how excited I am...My OH is now convinced I need certified and locked up lol

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 18:32:54 »
Join the club, I am dying to start planting out, but casue of the beautiful weather we have had I have not been able to go down there for over a week, so let hope the sun does come out, mud and all I will be there lol.  When you went there today was my compost bin still standing.

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 18:34:16 »
yep with it's tyre necklace intact ;) Looked kinda funky actually :P

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 18:35:38 »
We are very lucky there cause we have a beautiful plum tree on my plot that when I got the lottie last year was just finished fruiting, and there was tons, and I think on your plots there is a large apple tree that was full last year.  There ar tons of blackberries at summer time,and I have a established blackcurrant that I am going toplant plus rhubard and redcurrant and rasberrie so there will be plenty.  

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 18:38:42 »
lol it was the only way I could think to keep it up, I really need to get the tyres sorted tomorrow, I need to phone the council to see if we can have fires on this site cause there are so many old blackberry branches that need to be burt and cleared away, and I wan to make a leaf pile aswell.  My plot is full of old carrots that they last person forgot to pull up, so my boys are going hunting for them tomorrow cause I said they can have a penny for everyone they find lol, plus I have tons of weeds that need pulling, I am going to be covered in mud tomorrow, bet I will get strange looks on the way home

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal