Author Topic: Question.  (Read 1054 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Question.
« on: February 17, 2008, 19:37:19 »
 ???

Put this here because I thought more people would see it.

I do not understand the new photo comp stuff. Used to like it, one pic won, everyone understood why, simple.

I do not mean this as a criticism of Ken or any one individual, just that I do not have time to search through all the categories to see a pic I might like.

Please can we have just ONE comp for those who want one?

Please do not move this to the photo thread, those who cannot be a***d anymore will not see it if it is moved!

Thoughts anyone?

:-\

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Question.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 19:53:25 »
And I thought it was just me :-[

I don't like this format, I did like the old one (for newbies, there was a monthly competition whereby any pictures taken during the previous month could be entered - no categories). I enjoyed it and used to vote every month. The last time I looked into one of the many categories under this new format, I saw a splendid picture of an angler asleep on a river bank. Smashing, that was, and I voted for it. Haven't bothered to look since. On another forum I visit, they have a format identical to our 'old' one and there I look and vote every month. A simple format which suits my simple mind. ::) I'm sure that most people do like this, tho? It's all down to personal preference, isn't it?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 20:11:23 »
Totally agree. I have stopped looking myself. Far too complicated.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 20:20:25 »
Also the rule about only exhibiting a photo that has not appeared on a4a before discriminates against the mere hobbyist like myself. If I take a modestly good picture I do not tuck it away until a suitable category appears, I stick it in one of the forums for all to see.

OK I realise that for most of the competitions we are supposed to go out and take the suitable pic but that is what photographers do. Gardeners just tend to snap here and there as the mood takes us.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 20:25:10 »
I don't look anymore either  it is just too complicated. Sorry XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 21:47:05 »
Another one here who thought it was only me who has lost most of the interest in the photo comps. I do glance through sometimes and vote as I think a lot of the pics deserve my vote. I just get fed up with clicking here and clicking there. I thought it was my age Lish, just too complicated but as you say just down to personal preference.
Lorna

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 00:01:58 »
Regrettably I also stopped looking/voting a while ago.  It also appears that less people are entering the competitions?

(http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,36662.0.html)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 17:30:49 »
I'm in the 'happy snappers' as opposed to 'serious photographer' camp and I agree it has become a bit complicated.  But we were consulted on the changes and the majority seemed to be in favour so I was willing to give it a try.  But I must admit I look at the photo competition and gallery sites less and less and I'm afraid splitting the monthly flower competition into two was the straw which broke this camel's back. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal