Produce > Edible Plants

yellow beetroot

(1/3) > >>

Gail-M:
Hi,

I've just bought some Burpees Golden beetroot seeds - can anyone tell me how the taste compares to 'normal' red beetroot ?

Also I usually pickle beetroot in vinegar - will yellow beetroot be ok/just the same pickled ?

Thanks,

Gail.

Palustris:
As a standard cooked vegetable they are similar in taste to Red beetroot, but a little sweeter. Never had them pickled or made into chutney. The germination rate of the seeds sems to be much lower than ordinary beetroot too, or so we have found. Red, white and yellow served in a salad look fantastic on the plate.

ina:
To me, they taste good Gail, just like normal red ones and that also counts for the choggia's which are white and red striped but turn a dirty yellow when cooked. However, the germination rate of the burpees golden was much less than the other beets for me last season.

ina:
Hahaha Eric. I thought I was the first one answering and you just sneaked in right in front of me while I was writing. What ever happened to ladies first? Hahaha.

tim:
Cook (just). slice and cover with 1 cup vinegar boiled with 1/2 cup soft brown sugar. Or white! Or none??

Much less 'earthy' in taste - and non-staining, as I've said before!! = Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version