Author Topic: Spring potatoes  (Read 767 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Spring potatoes
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:49:37 »
I have a potato bag outdoors in bit of a  sun trap by a wall.  I sowed it in October (optimistically for Christmas) and nothing happened, then about 3 weeks ago despite the cold I noticed green sprouts coming up - I've now had to top up the container. Think they were Vivaldi from Sainsburys. Could be my earliest crop ever if there's anything underneath and not just greenery.

My question is how frost sensitive are the haulms? Should I fleece them up now that they growing out  of the container or perhaps the whole container? 

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Spring potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:14:38 »
I would fleece the just the tops. But the experts might tell you differently, and they'll be along soon, no doubt  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:15:13 »
Thanks Lauren - bit of an unknown quantity this one.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 15:32:52 »
Is Vivaldi an early? If not it may have a natural reluctance to sprout/dormant period which would account for it not coming up last year..
I'd keep earthing it up until the pot is full... the compost/soil will be the best frost protection... Only Epicure is noted for recovering from frosted tops...
 :-\

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 18:08:26 »
It's a second early which the RHS say is best if you're going for a second (late) crop. Not sure how day length sensitive they are compared to first earlies.

Anyway, the bag is now full, so if frosted tops are a killer I'd better get some fleece on.

Thanks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal