Author Topic: Red Perilla  (Read 944 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Red Perilla
« on: February 13, 2008, 22:40:22 »
While at Ryton I also bought some Perilla seed..
Has any one else tried/managed to grow it? Any tips welcomed!
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Red Perilla
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 22:42:21 »
Dead easy this one XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 22:43:45 »
Related to nettles isn't it? Last time I tried (years ago) I remember it failed...
Maybe I have just got better!!!
 :-[

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 23:01:39 »
Saddad, I do grow it periodically for my Sushi. The Japanese in Vancouver grow it as a  houseplant but I think it is a bit big for that, although I have done it. I gave it a spot in the garden with the herbs here, annual of course but it self seeds easlily and it isn't bothered by cold. It does like to be moist though, we grew it by the edge of our brook in Canada cos that is what the old Japanese fella who gave me the seeds told us to do and it grew beautifully, we grew the green one as well. I know it as Ako Shiso. Try it in a big pot  outside and keep it damp, you should be OK.  I don't know about the nettles but it doesn't sting.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:05:00 »
my experience hasn't been good - after several packets of seeds I gave up, finding it hard to even get them germinated and it's hard to imagine that none of the seeds were viable

time to try again also as it is such a great colour  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 12:48:45 »
I don't understand that, I wonder if there are different types of seeds, different strains, the seeds I have now are about 3 years old as I haven't grown it for a while, they were sent to me from Canada from a friend, I have grown these same seeds before and found they germinated easily. I wasn't going to bother this year as I can't get sushi fish anyway so there is no point but I will see if they will germinate. I don't know what the keeping qualities are. If they germinate, I will post as they will be spares. XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal