Author Topic: Friendly comp  (Read 2838 times)

ox

• Not So New ...
Friendly comp
« on: February 12, 2008, 20:48:20 »
A couple of us on our allotment are going to have a sunflower comp this season. it is a welcome change as our gardens have been in up raw and no community spirit but now "ding dong the witch is dead" it's coming back since our AGM. But the jist of this post is I want to win. I have never grown these befor so any tips Please Please Please Please.

You can even pm me if you don't want other people knowing  ;D ;D ;D

Jim

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
Re: Friendly comp
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 20:08:44 »
no idea how best to go about it, save weve started some off now (teddy bear ones so wont be big) but with the biggies they need to be staked (no dont stab them!!!) as wind and even squirrels will topple them for you, regards anything else, i dont know, slugs ate em last yr so i guess get em past slug gobbling size before planting out?? and birds ate the seeds out the ground last yr so dont plant straight out unless protected, lol, fingers crossed starting early this yr pays off!!!! and good luck! lou x
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

Rohaise

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 20:02:07 »
At the end of every summer term,I used to walk home from scool past a beautiful garden with a stately row of cheery sunflowers all dressed in hats,n, scarves, smiling faces one smoking a toy plastic pipe.......it really made my day  and is now a fond childhood memory.  I am now determined to do the same for my little passers-by!   Yesterday I sowed my packet of Sunflower seeds  two to a little pot each ...although probably for SOOPER DOOPER sized plants ,you could sow them singly. They germinate easily and quickly...when the frost has past plant them out in a sunny position with a good helping of more moist and rich compost ,stake and then just water and feed and water and feed and water and feed and water and feed .......       :D   Rohaise

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 22:08:35 »
water AND food.....aha..... now if i can just get them past the slug army already lain in wait.....
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 15:43:01 »
Getting past the slug stage is so easy, just pop a pop botttle on them then has been cut down in half and they will do fine, also it will protect the seedling from damage  from cold during early stages.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal