Author Topic: Shed size?  (Read 1377 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Shed size?
« on: February 11, 2008, 21:38:29 »
I just got an application form to build a shed from my council.
The maximum size is only 4ft sq by 6ft 6in tall.

I was hoping to build something to put some plants in with a window
and be able to sit down and have a cup of tea out of the rain.

Is your council a bit more generous with their regulations?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 22:20:09 by dtw »

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: Shed size?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 22:10:30 »
ours has to be a max 4ft x 6ft by 7ft high and is a shed or a greenhouse not both, we cannot plant a tree and we are allowed no animals :(

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 23:20:49 »
One greenhouse AND one shed, each max 6' x 8'. I just have a greenhouse, but share anothers shed.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:00:34 »
6 by 4 is the maximun on our site. mine is chock full of carp and a wheelbarrow. the only thing getting a cuppa in my shed is the spiders.  :o. still could be worse - planty of sites dont allow sheds at all.  :-\

lee79

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:02:16 »
I'm glad all the council ones near me were in a really poor state or I may not had gone to a private one.  Some of the council one's seem quite strict by your examples.

On the one I'm with, they seem quite reasonable.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:31:24 »
Sarah must smell a bit fishy in there? 

Old Bird

;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:56:39 »
Theoretically the size limit on my site is something like 8x6; I haven't checked but I'm sure there's an 8 in it. In practice, people build what they like, and while the Council may moan occasionally at the number of buildings some people have, nothing is ever done about it. In the past, brick or wooden summerhouses have been a feature of the site, and we all wish we had them back. In a situation like that, the letter of the law is on a loser.

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 17:28:39 »
hello,

i have plans for a 8ft x 8ft but you could jiggy them about a bit to get your size pm me if you require a copy & i will add you to the list should have them transferred from pdf file to a word file ;D very soon
today i will be growin veg!!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 18:50:18 »
We have just gone through all this with our council  we have now a 6x4 shed on our lotty which I bought after weighing all the options up for £99. needless to say this week the same shed at 'Focus' is £117 :), next year I hope to have converted this shed to a potting shed,

digger46

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 22:40:49 »
HI DTW   OUR COUNCIL  HERE IN   MEDWAY  LET US HAVE SHEDS  GREENHOUSES    I HAVE TWO SHEDS   ONE IS 7X5  AND ONE  I     BUILT   IS   6X4   MADE FROM 3X2  PALLET WOOD  GREENHOUSE  SIZE  8X8  AND WE CAN HAVE   CHICKEN   AND RABBITS   ON THE LOTTIE   AS WELL GLAD IM NOT ON YOUR SITE  COULD NOT BE WITHOUT MY   HOME COMFORTS  ON ME LOTTIE  ALL THE BEST ANYWAY .      FROM DIGGER46   

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 23:05:09 »
On our site (private) there are some delapidated old monsters... there is even a VW camper van which has been serving as a shed for about twenty years!!!
 ::)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 23:23:10 »
The maximum size is only 4ft sq by 6ft 6in tall.

Is your council run by the female gender ?

Man's destiny is to have a large shed, one with room for an armchair, a TV and a fridge. <grunt> <grunt>

Its not optional, its his right under the UN directive "The Rights of Men and How To Get Away From The Trouble and Strife"

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:57:21 »
Pesky Wabbit - may you be forgiven!!!!

It is us girls that want you chaps to have sheds to get you and your "bits & bobs" out of the house and you can then make a mess up on your lottie!!!

Believe it or not girls also like sheds - we need somewhere to chat and knit on wet days!!!

No seriously though our council is run 100% by the male gender and they are the ones being sticky on sheds in our area.  I have now joined as a site representative and so I have joined one other lady - so hopefully we will be changing the way that things have been done in the past and get the council out of their particular rut and into this century!

They don't allow greenhouses - I struggled to keep my polytunnel which has at last been agreed.  And sheds have to be approved for size and situation in writing!  Currently I am trying to get a chicken house!  Could take a while!

Surprisingly, where I live in Minehead the allotment site is now occupied or worked by about 85% women to 15% men.  It is only a small site with 21 plots but interesting that the girlsnow well outnumber the chaps!

Old Bird

;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 13:19:35 »
6x4 is all i am allowed, however you could have a seperate veranda for sitting out under :)

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 15:36:09 »
Cor, on our allotment its pretty much anything goes, Ive got a 8x6 shed, and a 6x6 greenhouse both on a half plot.
We have sheds on our allotments though built out of wood. stone, blocks - anything, some of them have log burners inside, and must measure at least 30` x 8`!
I'm sure theres something in the rules about only having manufactured sheds, but some of them up there were built in about

I'm with Wabbit - its everymans right to have a d**n big shed!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal