Author Topic: Waht do you do when you are being thrifty  (Read 4442 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Waht do you do when you are being thrifty
« on: February 11, 2008, 18:49:19 »
eg.. diluting the shampoo or washing up liquid.

This one is pinched from another site and it was amazing what ideas they had.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Waht do you do when you are being thrifty
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 19:00:32 »
I bulk buy what i can and pick up things when there reduced like morrisons 1/2 price baked beans 2 weeks ago i picked up 8 tins for the price of 4 which are handy to store.

Regularly i pick up stuff in france i take my parents who dont have a car they buy booze and pay for the tickets we pay for lunch which works out good for all of us. And we fill the car with deseil which is much cheaper in france. The stuff i buy in france inc washing up liquid (better than anything i can find in the uk and does not agrivate my skin a bottle which is about 70pence lasts 2 months and I had wash all the dishes) We regularly fill the freezerbox with meat which is also cheaper than the uk by almost 1/2 and you can look up the details on the meats from where it was born to where it was slautered.

If your being thrifty it does sometimes involve a little advance planning and though which is not something our ready meal culture is able to cope with.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 19:15:33 »
Yep, I water things down to get at the last drop and I cut the tops off plastic tubes.....it's amazing how much more cream, etc. I can find,  Sometimes another weeks' worth....and I pour the last bits of cereal that no-one will eat into the new pack. ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 19:21:44 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 19:42:11 »
I bought John  a pile of  solid Chocolate bells last week on sale after Christmas, 12 to packet about as big as Cadburys Creme Eggs. all in dividually wrapped ...regular price £2.99, on sale for 49p, needless to say I bought all they had left..14 packets, from £41 86 to £6.86, that is a £35 saving, even allowing for overpriced packaging this is remarkable.

Same day I bought several things buy 1 get 1 free,in fact I only bought 4 things that were not on sale like this.

Plus I was in the fish department as the fishman was reducing the fish for that day, I got  5 whole sea bass for 49 p each,regular £3 29, and thay where Ok to freeze too. They do this everyday at 5.30 and it has always been very fresh.

I got 2 lobsters a couple of weeks ago for £2 each.

I think the secret in grocery stores is to shop open minded, rather than go in for specific items, if it is a really cheap deal I grab it and buy several wether I need it or not as long as it it is OK to store it.

XX Jeannine

I have managed to buy saffron on sale for the last few years which is a considerable saving.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 19:53:39 »
Thrifty? You mean there's another way??

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 19:57:03 »
Oh yes,  but  we won't talk about handbags and shoesXX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 19:59:28 »
Every wednesday, my daughter and I scour Asda for bargains. I hate to pay more than 10p for peppers, carrots etc (organic, of course ::)) and bread and rolls.

My best bargain ever would have been years ago, when there was a Carrefour in Caerphilly. They had reduced caviar to 10p a jar. I bought 10....well, I had to didnt I?  None of us liked it, just salty goo really. We gave it to my brother in law who enjoyed it.

I suppose that wasnt really a bargain though. More a waste of £1 :-[

Buy one get one free ;D ;D ;D

cj :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 20:00:15 »
Talk about handbags & shoes??

Some of us never do! (You'll be relieved to know....)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 20:26:52 »
1. Don't shop when hungry.
2. Shop online instead, saves on time. Cuts down on impulse buying.
3. Check all your cupboards and freezer FIRST before shopping.
4. Always make a list during the week/month for items you are short of. Take it with you.
5. Do you really need 2 for 1, or buy 2 get a 3rd free. Sometimes these so called bargains....aren't such a good buy.
6. If you plan well in advance you can fill your oven with more than one item. Make a different supper for the next evening or make a double batch, cool and freeze the second one.
7. Take advantage of the heated oven and make a cake (or two).  ;)
8. Switch off the oven, hotplates and iron a few minutes before you need to stop using them - they will stay hot for a long time. Heating devices use more power than anything else.
9. Instead of using expensive cream cleaners use a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda on a damp cloth - it works just as well. Tea Tree oil is a good disinfectant
10. In the kettle, only boil the quantity of water you need, or keep any left overs in a flask and use to add to your washing up bowl.
11. Leaving electrical appliances on *Stand By* uses lots of power. Better still SWITCH OFF FIRST then pull the plug on the appliance.
Always switch off and unplug your TV and computer if there is a thunderstorm. Power surges can severely damage both. If you cannot switch off, use a surge bar protector.
12. Only buy your seeds when they are on sale. Thompson and Morgan have a half price seed sale in May. Wyvale reduce their seeds to 25p at the end of the season. I never buy more than I need. ..(Cough, cough, splutter, splutter)    ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ::)  ::) ;D  ;D  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 20:29:40 »
i find ebay great for shoes (rohde are the most comfortable shoes i own and usualy pick them up for £3 inc postage) Bags Oxfam and other charity shops are always a good place to start.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 21:14:34 »
I agree cam. I usually get my hush puppies from there.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 23:18:59 »
Don't give the wife so much House keeping money. ;D

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 23:25:08 »
Scuse me - what is "housekeeping money"  ::)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 23:45:44 »
ninnyscrops the housekeeping money is the cash you pay the husband his 25p a week pocket money out of XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 23:46:53 »
Bags from Oxfam, thst sounds good, I collect Radleys, how much do they cost at Oxfam!!XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 23:52:15 »
A charity shop in Caerphilly has a box where you can fill a bag for £1. It is the clothing that hasnt sold in the given time. I have found some really nice things in there. Does the name 'Second Hand Rose ' ring a bell? That's me ;D ;D ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 23:58:15 »
I collect Radleys too.Love their signature/Christmas bags.Never found any in a charity shop.Did see some fakes on a carboot a few years back. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 00:01:00 »
Oh a soul mate. I have about 8 or 9 I think. I never got a christmas one, I have the Retail Therapy one though, I like the one with penguins on  but still hoping XX Jeannine

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 00:13:34 »
I shut the curtains, switch off the lights and go to bed until the feeling passes.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 00:34:59 »
Oh a soul mate. I have about 8 or 9 I think. I never got a Christmas one, I have the Retail Therapy one though, I like the one with penguins on  but still hoping XX Jeannine
I have Christmas 2005 the one with the reindeers on and I use it as soon as Xmas decs come into the shops. ;DI had joyride this year and I adore it.
I love to browse them on ebay and dream.I have about six and its my birthday on Wednesday so hoping it might soon be seven. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal