Author Topic: Preparing for winter  (Read 1708 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Preparing for winter
« on: February 13, 2008, 20:58:03 »
I know the summer months are nearly upon us, but last year I was far to late to plant anything for the winter time.  I would really like some ideas on things I can plant so that we can have fresh veg over winter in a cold greenhouse and allotment.  Approx dates for sowing and types of veg info would be great.
Thank you
Linda

davee52uk

• Acre
Re: Preparing for winter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 21:09:46 »
I am still eating lettuce from two unheated greenhouses. I am going a complete year of lettuce which seems possible.

I sow "All the year round" in succession form about now to late August. Once the weather gets O.K. these can be grown on outside. From September onwards I sow LOADS of "Winter Density" - enough seedlings to grow to full lettuce for 6 months eating. These are grown on in cold frames or 'houses. They don't grow huge in this weather but give enough for sandwiches each day.

I also grow land cress inside but this will probably do just as well outside.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 21:11:38 »
plus all the oriental veggies, mouli radish, great in stir fries, purple sprouting, let me think  ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 21:24:10 »
Hi Linda,
Carrots, Purple Sprouting, Cabbages, Sprouts and Charlotte Potatoes I'm still harvesting and eating from my garden. The potatoes were planted in late August and we started eating the first ones on Boxing Day. The tops went ages ago but I still have markers so I know where they are. I've heard of others on here planting potatoes in tubs then placing them in the greenhouse.
I'm sure there are many more veg you can grow for winter. Perhaps a quick check through a seed catalogue might give you some more ideas.
Happy Growing.
Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 23:11:44 »
Good old standbys for harvesting ad lib during the winter months/early spring are leeks, p sprouting broccoli, Swiss chard, Jerusalem's, parsnip, swede and hopefully oca.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 23:22:13 »
Ruby Chard, Garlic, Onions Ijust thought of too  8)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal