Author Topic: Radish planted in September  (Read 763 times)

Magnolia

• Half Acre
Radish planted in September
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:16:58 »
I planted some radish late last year.  It was one of the 1st things I tried to grow.  Some is in the ground the rest is in a container. 

I have no idea when you can tell they're ready - so I dug one up yesterday and all I have is a root.  Should I scrap them and start again?  Or is it worth seeing if they have a growth spurt in spring?  I don't have many planted so it won't be a great loss.

Also how the devil do you know when they are ready?
Help appreciated.
Thanks.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Radish planted in September
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:30:06 »
Summer radishes should be harvested when they are crisp and young, normally about five weeks after sowing - consult the seed packet. If they are left in the ground past maturity they will go peppery and the texture will quickly loose it's crispness. If you have too many at any one, give them to friends because they do not freeze well and will only last five days or so in the fridge.

The larger winter radish plant takes about 3 to 4 months to mature, but they have been bred to remain in good condition left in the soil for another three or four weeks past maturity. Alternatively, they can be harvested, placed in sand and kept in a cool dark place for a month or so.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_june_1a_radish.asp

I hope this helps... :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:52:51 »
Many thanks.  Not sure whether they are winter radish or not.  I'll check tonight.  & I think I'll start again from scratch.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 14:48:32 »
Either way they will bolt when it warms up and the seed pods are edible... some varities are bred just for this...  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal