Author Topic: Sarracenia  (Read 1609 times)

Zoglet

• Half Acre
Sarracenia
« on: February 10, 2008, 18:42:49 »
Hi there,
I have a healthy looking sarracenia that I bought last year. It is out growing its pot and I wondered if any one could tell me what sort of compost I should use for re-potting (any other tips & suggestions welcomed too!)?

All relevant comments gratefully received.

Z
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

Toadspawn

• Acre
Re: Sarracenia
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 23:18:37 »
An acid peat based compost and water with rain water. They will obtain all the nutrients they require from the insects caught. During the summer mine are stood at the edge of the pond in about 2-3 inches of water and then I get frightened at the thought of losing tem and I stand them in a tray of water in a cold GH overwinter even though they are supposedly hardy to minus 10.

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 15:43:18 »
3 parts sphagnum moss peat to 1 part perlite. You could replace the perlite with grit sand although some growers believe it redices the colouring in the pitchers.
live sphagnum moss is a excellant potting medium as well

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 18:14:38 »
TY for the replies, but where do I get live moss from?
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 19:00:23 »
all u need is just irish moss peat,drop of perlite,if you use sand it must be silver sand Lime Free, or you will kill plant they are bog plants,we do sometimes have live spag, moss for sale when we do flower shows with our carnivorous plants,they do like to be pot bound a bit,
Pauline
www.tftplants.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal