Author Topic: Cats... Bain of my life!!!.. HELP  (Read 4831 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Cats... Bain of my life!!!.. HELP
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:31:14 »
Does anyone have any suggestions to stop cats coming in my garden.

They have messsed all over my front lawn and back lawn, and with a crawling baby this is just unacceptable.

I have spoke to both my neighbours who have the offending cats but they have the same problem from other cats in the neighbourhood!.

I have tried powders, pepper, orange peel etc.. but none of this seems to work.

This morning one had jumped off my shed onto my coldframe and broke the glass.....think i need a shotgun lol (sorry for all the cat lovers out there)!!... I hate the bloody things. ;D

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Cats... Bain of my life!!!.. HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 12:59:25 »
You need a wellie, lollipop stick, cotton wool and sloans liniment.

Method, talk nice to cat then offer it a treat, catch cat and quickly shove it in the wellie to stop it biting and scratching you. Lift tail and stuff a bit of cotton wool soaked in sloans liniment into its back passage, (this is where the lollypop stick comes in handy.

Now you can hold the wellie under your arm, put the cats tail in your mouth and pretend you are playing the bagpipes. When you are fed up with this, tip cat out and it will run away, it will never stop running, it will never come back. Problem solved.

disclaimer NO WELLIES WERE HURT IN THIS EXPERIMENT

Or just get a dog.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 13:48:11 »
i am a cat lover but i agree they can be a right pain in the arras if you have newly turned ground and seeds sown. the only thing i have found to work (apart from garlic granules which wash away in the rain) is a crisscriss layer of prickly twigs over your clean beds. it looks a bit scruffy but it works untill the plants are up.  holly is what i use.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 16:33:03 »
I'm a cat lover too and, like Sarah, I use prickly cuttings on my borders.  Cocoa shell mulch is also quite effective but don't use this is you have a dog (it can kill them if they eat it).  I can't think of anything that will keep cats off your lawn though.  So get rid of the lawn and you'll have more growing space.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 17:17:10 »
Last year, my neighbour put 'Lions Poo' on her garden. I hadnt had trouble with cats till then. They came and ruined my garden instead. She gave me some, and the cats went away (presumably to the other neighbour ::))

Apparently, the cat can tell it is from a cat much bigger than itself, and stays away. I dont know where she got it from, but I will definately be trying to find it this year, as the cats are back again scratching up my borders  >:(

BTW, its in pellet form, not original :o ;D

cj :)

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 18:04:11 »
if you put amazon in search box then search amazon for it, they sell it there or u will get another link for it. mpg

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 18:44:11 »
I think Ace is on a winner!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;DAs for myself, I've tried everything (except shooting).
This thread has come up many times & I've spent a fortune on ultrasonic devices. Even tried albus oil on teabags, the tea bags cost me a fortune.
If you have a fence, you could run live & neutral (bare) wires about 10 mm apart with a very low rated fuse in the plug. Trouble is, you'll spend a fortune on fuses - but you won't see many cats!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 19:08:53 »
I AM A CAT LOVER.....but I do appreciate how annoying this can be. One of mine hates being near spraying water so I assume that the water gun treatment has been used on her in the past. Why not try this? It's pretty harmless to the cat and seems to have the desired effect. I agree with the holly clippings treatment too.
Smile, it confuses people.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 19:11:52 »
Water pistol - honest! Works on my cats every time.

Also with the prickly twig folk, but recently found something just as good.

Having just planted a load of bulbs and baby shrubs in a corner and not having enough of said twigs to hand, I used some narrow gauge plastic fruit netting. Just laid it roughly over the patch with a couple of short bamboo sticks to keep it around 6" at most off the soil, and a couple of pots/ halfbricks to hold down the edges. The cats won't risk getting tangled up in it.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 20:06:38 »
....thing is, tho...these cats are doing it on the lawns & there's a baby about, so anything's got to be safe for him/her & at that age don't they just love putting things in their mouths :-\

I agree with the water pistol.I've got one of those that squirt a really
powerful jet & you won't be leaving your baby alone will you? So I reckon..clear the lawns, load up the pistol - and have fun ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 20:26:48 »
Before sentancing all cats to eternal damnation, are you sure its actually a cat pooing on the lawn. Given a nice freshly dug seedbed, cats will use this all the time. Foxes are the usual culprits for dumping on the lawn.

Anyway, if springbokgirlie thinks she has problems now with the cats, just wait till the most stupidest cat in creation adopts you and follows you like your shadow.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 20:37:05 »
its definately cats.  No foxes in this area.  I have watched the little buggers squat on the lawn.  Its so bad, its like dogs have been everywhere.   ???

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 21:50:29 »
Try your old tea bags soaked in jeys fluid, they hate the smell i too have cats 2 of them & they do the same to my flower bed the little s**** >:(, & this is what i use replace every 3/4 days or after it rains & the tea bags are a great compost.
happy tea drinking ;D
today i will be growin veg!!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 21:55:34 »
springbockgirlie,
My full sympathies.
Like weeds, you have to worry them to death!
 ???

Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 22:31:31 »
well tried the jeyes fluid and teabags to no avail.  Again this morning was out with a scoop!!...  :'(
Went to check on my babies in the greenhouse only to find a cat in it!!!!!!... I chased the thing round the garden trying to scare it but it didnt care.
My baby boy can not go on the lawn till I put a stop to this, which is so unfair as he loves being out there with me  :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 22:48:20 »
I AM A CAT LOVER.....
but I couldn't eat a whole one..
Sorry Emagggie couldn't resist that one...
 ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 23:16:54 »
Check out your cheapie stores for some netting. Lay it on the lawn and when you want to use the lawn just peel it back. It won't hardly be noticed. The cats will soon learn and after a few months you might be able to remove it for good.
For borders I just *planted* kebab sicks, with the point sticking out of the ground, no more cat parcels  ;D

:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 00:15:55 »
I AM A CAT LOVER.....
but I couldn't eat a whole one..
Sorry Emagggie couldn't resist that one... ;D

Doh... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Should have seen that coming!!
Smile, it confuses people.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 09:34:48 »
I'm thinking netting (do the Pound shops do netting btw?) + the water pistol may be the way to go for your lawns, then. V. best of luck - Lishka

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 11:08:33 »
Add a bit of washing up liquid or detergent to the water you spray at them.  They hate the taste when they lick it off.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal