Author Topic: Wireless? Networks  (Read 3441 times)

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
Wireless? Networks
« on: February 09, 2008, 17:10:26 »
Can anyone help out with suggestions to sort the practicalities of the following:

I want to have a wireless network in a building but unfortunately the computers will be positioned at either end of the building, separated by several thick walls and actually on different floors. Would it be possible to have a wireless network at one end (closest to the ADSL "box") and (some how) link either some sort of "repeater" or a second wireless zone at the other end of the building? I realise we could run a network cable from the adsl end to a network hub at the other but the building layout and thick walls would make this a very impractical solution. It's possible that there would be two (or 3) computers at either "end".

I have tried a sort of dummy run with a "wireless G" wireless router but, while there was a signal at the distant end, this is so weak and of doubtful reliability that some other solution is needed.

Any suggestions or recommendations for bits of kit would be greatfully received, THANX

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Re: Wireless? Networks
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 17:42:17 »
Im on BT home hub and have 4 students all over the hoouse on laptops with no problems  :)

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 18:04:23 »
You could try an ethernet over power device, ie,

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/default.html

see the diagram

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/diagrams.html

You need at least two plugs (they do a twin pack for £42), it think the maximum you can have is 16. If had it working between my flat and the landlords, even though were on seperate ring mains and even have seperate meters ???
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 14:22:03 »
I would go with the "homeplug" option. Although various brands of wireless routers have different capabilities and you can get extra powerful antena etc there is still no guarantee that it will work. Hoemplug will. Dead simple, uses router ->ethernet cable -> homeplug -> powersocket -> power socket -> homeplug -> ethernet cable. Capable of 54Mb so, unless you have some fantastic fibre broadband, its way faster than your connection to the web and plenty fast enough to stream video over your LAN.
Hope this helps...
Woppa

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 23:38:41 »
Can anyone help out with suggestions to sort the practicalities of the following:

I want to have a wireless network in a building but unfortunately the computers will be positioned at either end of the building, separated by several thick walls and actually on different floors. Would it be possible to have a wireless network at one end (closest to the ADSL "box") and (some how) link either some sort of "repeater" or a second wireless zone at the other end of the building? I realise we could run a network cable from the adsl end to a network hub at the other but the building layout and thick walls would make this a very impractical solution. It's possible that there would be two (or 3) computers at either "end".

I have tried a sort of dummy run with a "wireless G" wireless router but, while there was a signal at the distant end, this is so weak and of doubtful reliability that some other solution is needed.

Any suggestions or recommendations for bits of kit would be greatfully received, THANX

There could be a problem with the "Homeplug" system. You say it is a big building, is it a commercial building?, does it have three phase supply?. If it does, be aware than the homeplug has to be on the same phase. Commercial buildings often have separate phases in use. Best check this out before you pay out a lot on equipment.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 15:00:10 »
Would it be possible to have a wireless network at one end (closest to the ADSL "box") and (some how) link either some sort of "repeater" or a second wireless zone at the other end of the building?

Yes, quite easily.  Most of the companys who make wireless modems/routers (Belkin, Linksys, Netgear) also make access point & 'range extenders.  So if your ADSL box is at one end of the building & the PC at the other, you position the access point in the middle & it 'relays' the signal.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 17:13:43 »
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

By way of an update:

The building does use separate phases for rings in different areas - not sure which is on which. It's not a commercial property but a church hall type thing with rooms off and upstairs (so it's quite a substantial construction)

The option of a range extender or repeater sounds the sort of thing I was hoping for.

I have not yet bought either a wireless "hub" or any other kit for that set up - I know there are now different standards for wireless systems (other than 802.11b/g) and the newer ones claim better coverage and range but if I went for one of these Mimo or N1 (or whatever) would all the computers have to have wireless cards to match that standard? (i.e. are they backwards compatible??)

Nelson

• Quarter Acre
  • Worthing, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 17:32:21 »
As far as I am aware, no.  The wireless language they all speak is the same, it's only the max data transfer rate that is different between the standards.
My allotment blog Plot326.  In it's infancy at the mo but in time it'll grow.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 18:10:42 »
Don't want to dilute this thread too much but:
1. Our Network 'aerial' box has to be exactly aligned with our outbuilding window or it will not carry.
2. We have a constant problem with cordless 'phones. Our house is 60' long with 3' internal walls & 3 floors, & we have to have 2 sets - serving each end of the house. So there has to be a sort of 'relay race' if I take a call at one end & have to change 'phones to reach the other. Just toying with the idea of the Tesco Best Buy set which has 'a very good range', but 'range' always seems to be 'line of sight'.

Any advice on the latter point would be well received!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 09:02:44 »
Didn't mention that we need intercom on the 3 floors.

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 11:14:59 »
Just to update folks about my original question.
We have now got the computers installed at the top of the building and while I could just get a signal there using my own wireless router to the "g" standard, we have gone for a slightly more expensive "N1" system with matching cards in the desktop boxes and we are getting a wireless network signal strength reported as "good". This is obviously not as as when sitting right next to the router and broadband access is fine.
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions - we did not go down the route of a mains-cabled network simply because of the difficulties/cost of getting the bits to try in advance so went for the most powerful wireless system since this has added benefits of access anywhere in the building.

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 17:21:47 »
You do know you can just buy bigger arials for these things to extend the range.

MRF

roundtoit

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 16:18:16 »
Yes, but we were not certain that a bigger antenna on a "g" router would give a good enough signal. The theory was, get the one with the largest range, add antenna if necessary and then go down the repeater route, repeater route repeater ro..... etc. We got away with the N1 router!!

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:51:15 »
You do know you can just buy bigger arials for these things to extend the range.

MRF

Yes, bigger aerials may work. From my experience in using transmitters,  the best aerials are either 'full wave' or 'half wave'. Has anyone ever said what the wavelength is that they use? I've never seen it. The aerial needs to be an exact relation to the wavelength.

I had a hand held transceiver with a range of 6-10 miles, but when feeding the signal into a 5/8 wave aerial I got a range of 50 miles with the same 2 watt output.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 10:29:24 »
Don't want to dilute this thread too much but:
1. Our Network 'aerial' box has to be exactly aligned with our outbuilding window or it will not carry.
2. We have a constant problem with cordless 'phones. Our house is 60' long with 3' internal walls & 3 floors, & we have to have 2 sets - serving each end of the house. So there has to be a sort of 'relay race' if I take a call at one end & have to change 'phones to reach the other. Just toying with the idea of the Tesco Best Buy set which has 'a very good range', but 'range' always seems to be 'line of sight'.

Any advice on the latter point would be well received!

Hi, Tim.
All frequencies from VHF upwards are line of site, below that they reflect off the "Heavyside" layer.

3' internal walls, I didn't know you lived in a castle. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal