Author Topic: Onion seeds have germinated....now what?  (Read 1350 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Onion seeds have germinated....now what?
« on: February 07, 2008, 20:17:02 »
Hi everyone!

I thought I would try growing some onions from seed this year (as well as sets) just to see if I could.

I have two trays about 1 inch deep sitting in my kitchen window. Quite a lot have germinated over the given time of 21 days, so far so good.

But now what do I do with them?   

1. Can I put them in my cold greenhouse, under fleece?
2. Leave them in the warm kitchen?
3. Wait a few more weeks then move them, but to where?

----

How do I transplant them? I have read that you dint cover the bulb, how is it possible not too?

Sorry lots of questions!  ;)

Any way almost the weekend and I plan on getting three more raspberry canes planted.  ;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

morton

• Half Acre
Re: Onion seeds have germinated....now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 20:30:03 »
Cold greenhouse not under fleece they do not want any more heat. They will then grow on happily. Mine have been there like that for a few weeks now. I would only move them into the garage say if we got a really hard frost.
If you have you sown the seed in separate cells in a multi-cell tray then they will be easy to plant out. If you have sown them all together thickly in a single tray then I would be tempted to pot them on into multi-cell trays at 2 per cell.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 20:32:36 »
No expert here Chris, first time growing onions from seed,  but my Ailsa's germinated in the spare bedroom. I took the lids off the props for a week, then popped them in the greenhouse with the lids back on, and they seem to have survived!  Am sure an expert will be along soon  :)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 20:53:03 »
i have Sweet Spanish Yellow and Mammoth Improved Onion going in-situ under plastic closh as the sites windy but nice and warm and this should protect against a frost (i hope).

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:21 »
Moved my kelsae into the cold frame with the celeriac. Both of which germinated in the spare (unheated, as also my squash storage space) back bedroom.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:28:16 »
Last week I moved my Ailsa Craig sown in cells mid-Jan from the living room to the top shelf in the poly tunnel.  They seem to be doing fine, and I have some more germinated waiting to join them.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:34:02 »
Good, another wee job for the weekend then.

i'll get them moved out into the greenhouse.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 16:10:56 »
our long red florence went to the poly today, started them off in a pot in a plastic bag on the kitchen windowsill  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 16:51:44 »
Hi Chris

1. Can I put them in my cold greenhouse, under fleece?
2. Leave them in the warm kitchen?
3. Wait a few more weeks then move them, but to where?

I have attached a few picture on how I sow and prick out mine here; http://tinyurl.com/2yzjx3

Once I get them to the stage of the last picture I put them where I can try and maintain a temperature of between 40° & 50°F (4°-10°C) but more especially good light.

I use the highest shelf in my greenhouse.

Providing they are not too wet they will tolerate the odd night where the temperature gets down to near freezing.

What happens is the root ball is usually about 4°-5° warmer (providing they are not too wet).

So to answer your question I would say that depending upon the size of your plants take action (3) then to (1) but be ready with the fleece if low temperatures are forecast, i.e. leave it off initially, it is most important that they get maximum light.
----

How do I transplant them? I have read that you dint cover the bulb, how is it possible not too?

If you have pricked them out into individual pots as I have done you plant them to the same depth as the pot i.e. top of pot compost is level with soil in the bed.

When the plants begin to swell you may have to scrape away some soil to allow them to ripen but this is generally very minimal.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:48:58 »
Thanks TeeGee  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal