Author Topic: TESCO - I'm fuming!  (Read 5939 times)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: TESCO - I'm fuming!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 21:16:13 »
Try reading the book Tescopoly by Andrew Simms or go to www.tescopoly.org - both deal with the destructive powers of supermarkets in general, but do focus on the biggest success of them all, Tesco.
No need to tell you where I'm standing, but I have successfully boycotted all supermarket chains for 18 months now, and don't feel I'm missing out.

And the book "Shopped" by Joanna Blythman.  Opens your eyes.  I haven't bought any "fresh" meat or veg from the supermarkets for a couple of years now, and never buy any "own brands" of anything.
The Tuscan Beaneater

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 21:23:40 »
Tora, please write to the manager & head office my daughter has been a customer service manager , & this scene would not be tolerated by any management.  So do write.   No i would not have returned chilled goods , but no reason to be rude , do something about it & let us all know.

PS you may even get a shopping voucher as an apology ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 21:31:22 »
trouble is, you'd have to go to tesco to use it  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 21:32:42 »
When I had a holiday job in a supermarket, that shall remain nameless it was scandalous how much stuff was "thrown" away... often by the staff who reclaimed it for themselves later on....  :-X

Arumlily

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 22:14:34 »
Last year I ordered flowers on line for MIL birthday. It arrived two day's after her birthday. I was furious, and told them so by phone. The person whom I voice my grievances to was ever so cocky, when I told him I will never shop with them again.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 12:56:01 »
Tora, please write to the manager & head office

PS you may even get a shopping voucher as an apology ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Totally agree. Phone up the local store (the number is usually on the till receipt or try Yellow Pages) and ask to speak to the manager. I did this myself when a home delivery bod was very rude and made some racist comments. Apologies and refunds etc were provided.

I can understand their policy about not accepting chilled food for refund and resell (it could have been sitting in the back of a warm car for hours!) but surely for the case of good customer feeling an exchange should have been made even if it does cost them 49p as they will throw the original goods away.

Just Vegging Out

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 22:43:05 »
TORA - get on to Tesco headoffice and send them an email of complaint - make sure to put your name and postal address and I bet you they will send some good will gift vouchers.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 10:38:52 »
Valmarg - unfortunately had Tesco paid back the money for the returned cream and binned the cream the precedent had been set and the world and his wife will all expect the same treatment!

There has to be some rules that are not "bendable" for the sake of the rest of us all!

I am afraid that Tesco's treated you badly - but sometimes I find there is a gentle polite way of complaint which, although not always successful, which even if the outcome is not going your way can end without insulting either party!

To be perfectly honest - is it worth any extra aggro for you to take your complaint further .... surely it is better to drop the subject ... save yourself any further hassle and either not shop there anymore - or just put it down to experience and move on.

The outcome will not get you anywhere  financially.  You will get worked up again about the way you were treated for what?  Chill - Life's too short

Old Bird

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 14:51:36 »
I cannot agree with this last comment although I appreciate it was written from a caring point of view.

Customer service in the Uk is pitifully poor and only by not accepting the rudeness will it change. I was appalled when I returned here to here some of the treatment customers have received, and what is more appalling is that folks are afraid to " make a fuss". The stores that have poor service and attitude have to understand that customers are not happy.

In return Customers do have to complain in a decent manner.

Respect is a two way street, it works   everywhere else I have been so  why does it not work very often in the UK.

Something is very wrong somewhere

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 15:07:54 »
Well I was expecting some problems myself from Tesco this morning, when I discovered that their self service checkout had processed a card payment twice, technically they can wait for the payment to decline in a few days time rather than refund which would have left me with bank charges to pay, however I'm pleased to report, they couldn't be more helpful or polite and refunded it straight away with no quibbling or rudeness and they even did it in cash!

No excuse for poor service and in this country we are far too reticent and accepting of it.  However, I have witnessed some appalling behaviour from customers as well, so I guess it cuts both ways.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 19:37:31 »
Valmarg - unfortunately had Tesco paid back the money for the returned cream and binned the cream the precedent had been set and the world and his wife will all expect the same treatment!
Old Bird

Well it would have been good PR.

How many people take a carton of cream back to Tesco because they've picked up the wrong variety.  The odd £ out of their billions of profit is not exactly going to break the bank!!

We live in the West Midlands and listen to the Ed Doolan radio show on Radio WM.  It is a consumer programme, and  a lot of the time he complains on the listeners' behalf.

He usually gets results for the listeners who have turned to him in desperation because they have hit a brick wall in their attempts to get something sorted.

Thanks to him I have learned a lot about consumer law.

valmarg

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 20:12:10 »
sorry, old bird, I can't agree, the only way the big stores know how their staff treat customers is if they are told, I've complained, not about specific people but just that their staff need customer training, I worked in a large store for years and we had training for an hour every week, it worked  :)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:43 »
Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm sorry I couldn't come back sooner, I have been super busy with my job. :-\

There is one thing for certain - I will not return any chilled item ever again. :-[
I knew the tub was carried in a cooler bag and kept in the fridge immediately etc. but they couldn't have know if it really was not left in a hot place, so I totally understand that now.

Please note that the whole point of this thread was about Tesco's attitude. I don't think anybody can defend that kind of behaviour for anybody.

I am afraid that Tesco's treated you badly - but sometimes I find there is a gentle polite way of complaint which, although not always successful, which even if the outcome is not going your way can end without insulting either party!

The thing is, they insulted my OH big time from the start and OH is not the kind of person who causes an aggro. He just made a mistake of trying to return the tub and got punished immediately... Why couldn't Tesco politely explain their policy to him before making nasty comments or laughing at him?

And I totally agree with Jeannine - customers shouldn't be scared of complaining if staff treated you badly and of course both party should be polite to each other.
What's the point in insulting and upsetting people?

I'd like to believe that if I'm polite to somebody, the person will be polite to me too but sadly often that's not the case(as confirmed by Tesco staff :D). However I still want to be polite to people because it feels better that way. So many people are so miserable and angry these days! If look around when you walk down the high street you know what I mean. :-\

Tora

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 11:24:08 »
I agree totally with complaining, going to the top if neccessary!

I am one of the original "angry old women" I am outspoken, I will stand up for my rights, I will stand up for other people and their rights if I feel they are unable to protect themselves!

But my point is that the original complaint about the cream was a bit thoughtless and the staff pointed out that the company policy was that they didn't refund after 20minutes or whatever.   That should have been that.  It was a simple complaint where they told you their position - company policy - should have been end of subject.

Sometimes the staff have to take grief from people that don't agree with "company policy" and hey! they are human!  There is absolutely No EXCUSE for rudeness - I 100% agree with you on that.  But  a complaint to the manager the area manager will achieve what?  One member of staff being told off for applying company policy?  No they will probably get a gold star for keeping to company rules. It will be your word against theirs that they were rude and they will probably say that you were rude to them (I am not in any way saying that you were).

I agree that training is essential to staff to remedy bad manners - but unfortunately - good manners learnt  from parents are a rare commodity these days.  But I think that good manners should not be left to an employer to teach its employees they should start from infancy through school and into the workplace.  I am definitely not having a pop - good luck with following up your complaint!

Old Bird

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 16:58:05 »
It  might get the price of goods down a bit if every shop had an F!... off dept. It might discourage people from wasting the stores time and making the rest of us pay for their mistakes. The returns dept. has to be paid for and the money to pay for it is included in our purchases.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 19:11:06 »
The returns dept. has to be paid for and the money to pay for it is included in our purchases.

Hence their ginormous profits!!!

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 21:26:59 »
mm, so why is customer service so poor and prices so high in the UK ..just a smiley thought XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 21:46:46 »

There has to be some rules that are not "bendable" for the sake of the rest of us all!

To be perfectly honest - is it worth any extra aggro for you to take your complaint further .... surely it is better to drop the subject ... save yourself any further hassle and either not shop there anymore - or just put it down to experience and move on.

The outcome will not get you anywhere  financially.  You will get worked up again about the way you were treated for what?  Chill - Life's too short

Old Bird

Well Bollo***cks to that Old Bird!

Yes, life's too short but SOME people like to live their lives doing something about things that other people can't even IMAGINE can't change & some people can't imagine living without doing something that can change a life.

Do I make myself clear?
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 21:51:44 »
Very Sucint,sukint? Oh heck yes very clear, trust you Trix.  ::) ::)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 21:06:05 »
I think it would be best venting your anger  digging on the veg plot ;)

I agree with old bird, life is too short...... I do agree with everything you've said but is it really worth the strive .... but which ever way good luck

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal