Allotment Stuff > The Basics

A point to ponder on?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Hugh_Jones:
Gardener, an excellent picture,  but I do hope that it wasn`t taken very recently. As to the bed in question, no, it isn`t in a warm spot, and no, it was not manured last year to keep it warm. However, the `volunteers` were buried quite deeply under the untidy mounds I always leave when I`m harvesting potatoes, and it may well have been a degree or so warmer that deep.

Ross, yes the spraying is to prevent what you yourself have noticed. The production of strong sprouts can greatly reduce the moisture content of the tubers, particularly if they are in a window exposed to strong sunshine.  An occasional fine mist spray helps to keep the tubers firm and plump.  I`m quite sure that Tim is fully aware of this, but he just likes to give me the opportunity to expound.

tim:
- wasn't !! - never thought of it. = Tim

PS - And just to debunk the owt - I have never 'stood them up'. 'Life's too short to stuff a mushroom'. Just chuck 'em in and they'll do their thing. With one caveat - if you use trays like these, watch out for the shoots pushing out through the holes, and getting stuck!  Left - Red Duke of York. Right - Anya, starting aerial roots.

Hugh_Jones:
Now that`s more like it!

Ragged Robin:

Tim  I use similar trays for my spuds, to avoid the entrapment problem, I normally put a layer of newspaper on the bottom!

Tenuse:
Hee hee I only have a total of 22 tubers chitting they would be lost in a big tray like that!

Ten x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version