Author Topic: Chitting panic!  (Read 1162 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Chitting panic!
« on: February 07, 2008, 16:02:46 »
Oh dear, it's all gone wrong.

So, I measured up my plot and calaculated how many seed sputs I could fit.
I looked in a catalog - it said that they sold spuds in 3kg lots and that there were around 30 seed spuds to the bag.  Great I thought and ordered a good amount to fill most of the space availible.

They came and now I'm in trouble...what they didn't say was that there are _2_ bags in each 3kg lot, so rather than having 90 seed spuds I've got 180!!!  :o ::) ???

I should be able to clear space on the plot for them all, a few in containers, etc.  But I just don't have the room to chit them all.  So, am I OK just to leave half of them in the box that they came in, in a cool dry cupboard until planting time in mid March?

Second question, those that are being chitted: they are suposed to go bud end up, but which is the bud end?  Some have some small bud-like bumps at one end and a single large sticky out bit at the other, some have small bud-like bumps at both ends and some are smooth as a bady's do-dar ?

Kea

• Hectare
Re: Chitting panic!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 16:24:44 »
The end that's got the most buds/eyes (the rose end), it's usually the fatter end.On the thinner end (heel) sometimes you can see where the stalk once joined on. If in doubt sit it sideways for awhile.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 16:34:59 »
Ah! you have fallen into the trap, the amounts can be quite different between varieties.

For instance earlies tend to be smaller so you get more to the pound, 2nd earlies can be a bit of a mixed bag, for instance Kestrel can be quite large whereas some of the newer varieties are smaller.

I am lucky in so far as I can have the number of tubers I require counted out for me then they are weighed.so size does not matter with me.

Having said that if you work on 6 average tubers to the pound (roughly 15 to the kilo) you should be OK.

If you know a variety comes quite small such as Fir Apple you can order less by weight and if you are growing Kestrel order more by weight.

So when buying the 'nets' have a look at the tuber size and adjust accordingly.

OK I know if buying mail order this is out of the question so in you are in the hands of your supplier.

Regarding your other question i.e. space to chit!

I would select the smaller ones 'hen egg size' to chit this way you will get more in the space you have.

Regarding which end ? the following extract from my website might help you in deciding, but don't worry too much if you get the odd one wrong you can always put it the right way up once it has started to chit

Ideally select tubers the size of hen / duck eggs, and set them side-by-side and ‘rose-end’ uppermost, in shallow trays, or old egg boxes.

n.b. The ‘rose end’ produces most shoots, or 'eyes', and on occasions is difficult to recognize.

If this is the case, look for the point where the tuber was once attached to the root system, this will indicate that the ‘rose end’ is at the other end of the tuber.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 16:35:54 »
OK in a ventilated box.

Doesn't matter a hoot about but rose end up - I have never bothered.

(Written before TG's).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 16:37:38 by tim »

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 16:40:13 »
Thanks all, my panic has abaited!

Having added them up they seem to have given me an extra free bag as well!

Ho hum, I'll put the spares in a well ventilated box and hope that SWMBO doesn't cook them before they get planted.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 16:55:06 »
Que someone to make a cheeky quip about running out of bog roll...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal