Author Topic: compost container  (Read 1015 times)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
compost container
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:30:59 »
Hi this is my first post! I've been lurking and found that this site is really good (thanks to all of you) I learnt how to make paper pots and watched through a link a video of a disappearing  red hankie .........bizarre  :)

I haven't done any veg gardening for nearly 20 years due to space mainly but my daughter has just got a new house last June with a big plot with weeds 4ft high we've cleared a big space and chucked in a load of spuds last September from the supermarket just to help clear it. so this year is all go, we're in the process of making a shed from old pallets and digging, I forgot what it was like! coming home tired but very happy....anyway

The question...... our compost heap so far has just been on the ground we put some pallets together to make two bins about a square yard each and wondered if to line it? I've got some old nylon tarpalins with hole here and there any good or whats your advice please...

Bill

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: compost container
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:50:11 »
If you wish to line it, many people don't, then you'd be better off using old cardboard boxes opened out and save your tarp to cover the whole thing with.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:56:38 »
I made a compost bin from pallets.
As you can see it's still a work in progress, as I have yet to come up with something more permanent for the front.  I plan to do something similar to Ken's diagram above, but one of the uprights isnt very stable and I fear the door boards would fall out if the side 'leaned out' as it seems to!
Mine isnt lined at all - I think the air getting in does it good, but can't be sure.

The back:

The front:
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:24:53 »
thanks for the advice Kenkew and Jimmy James.

I thought the air needed to get in as well, what put doubt in my mine was the plastic compost bins you can buy now, also I did see sand bags being used and thought that the taupe would act in the same way.

many thanks ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 13:53:24 »
Plastic bins might be tidier but I don't reckon half as good as a wooden one. Cardboard inside will last a season and can be added to the bin when you start a new load.
 My plan above was free standing so I could move it around. I put extra boards top and bottom on the door side to stiffen it. It dei well for many years.
 Don't treat the timber on the inside, that can slow down the bacteria growth. Aim for as hot a pile as you can get. Turn it once, possibly twice per load.
 Your tarp on top will keep heat in and excess rain out. If you have 2 bins, fill one fully before you start a new one. That way you should be able to maintain a fairly constant flow of compost.
 Keep the pics coming, JJ. Looking good.
Ken.

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 14:15:22 »
I thought the air needed to get in as well ...

The microbes that break down organic matter need oxygen (air) an water to thrive.
Ie the heap wants to be damp, but not wet, and turned to a) add air, b) mix the stuff up and help the composting process.

I completely turn mine once a month, with usable stuff in 9-12 months. But, it doesn't get hot enough to kill the wee seeds.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 14:40:33 »
Hi Jimmy James!

For making your front stay in!  (Don't expect technical terms!!)  what i would do would be to find 2 small chunky bits of wood, stick them on the front uprights (they should be deep enough for the front door thingy to fit inside) then put another slightly wider piece longways down over the sticky out bits which should make a slide!  (in my world anyway!!

I don't think that I have made that very clear.  Basically the front should then be able to slide down this runner mechanism.

I know what I am talking about but you probably don't!

Let me know if I can further enlighten you!

Old Bird

;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 15:21:52 »
hiya, kimbobill, welcome to the site, we lined our compost bins, the pallet type, with thick cardboard the first time we made them, it helped kill the weeds off underneath  :)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 16:32:26 »
Hello and welcome Kimbobill :D

I prefer wooden composters and have only one in a beehive shape. Its very effective though small. I also have a dalek, its ok but the wooden one does work better.

Im not sure if the dalek sweats more inside, sometimes the heap inside goes smelly and too wet.

I will get another wooden one I think.....much better and nicer to see ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal