Author Topic: In Memory of Supersprout  (Read 7037 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: In Memory of Supersprout
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 13:51:02 »
I still have her pm's in my inbox both here and at allotmentsnstuff.  I know she is sadly missed in both places - a very special lady. :(

Me too Ady!   :)  :'(

Many were the cheerful posts exchanged, wisdom, seeds and recipes ...

I don't think I will ever be able to look at sunflowers again without thinking of her  :D

RIP My Lovely  :-*

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 13:52:06 »
I too still have a PM from her which I can't  bear to delete. She is still very much missed and when I see my squash ( I got of her seeds last year), stacked up in my porch I remember her. She has left us all with very happy memories as well as sadness she is no longer here in person. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 14:03:33 »
I have copies of Sarah's emails which I put onto a word document for safekeeping.   I never actually met her but she was so helpful and welcoming especially when I first joined A4A that I looked on her as a very good friend.

Life can be so cruel sometimes especially when someone like Sarah is no longer with us, but her memory will live on for many years to come. 

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 14:07:11 »
I cannot believe it's a whole year ago! Sarah left a great legacy in terms of seeds and advice all over the country. I was left thinking how privileged I was to have known of such a special woman.

Hope Will is ok, thanks for reminding us Georgie.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 17:11:53 »
Although I never met her, I have certainly had plenty of advice from her. I felt privilegedt o attend her funeral and hear about all her other talents, too. I'm looking forward to "Groww your own" being shown again to see her in action. :'(

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 17:27:07 »
a wonderful person who I really miss, who was always positive and supportive, and who mulched for Britain ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 19:07:14 »
Although I never met her, I have certainly had plenty of advice from her. I felt privilegedt o attend her funeral and hear about all her other talents, too. I'm looking forward to "Groww your own" being shown again to see her in action. :'(

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right or not, are you saying she was on a programme? And that it's going to be shown again? I may have misunderstood this so apologies if I have!  :)
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 19:16:57 »
I still have Sarah's aka Supersprouts pm's and the seeds that she so generously shared.  We had planned to have a squash growing comparison last year, planting them on 16th April, but she wasn't around to do that and sadly the weather was so awful that Barbara Butternut did not produce any fruit.

KT I am sending some of Sarah's Marketmore seeds to you - still spreading around the country ;D

Always remembered.  I hope her son is doing OK

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 19:21:19 »
Like others I can't believe how time has passed, SS will definatly be missed but never forgotten. Sarah was on one episode of grow your own. Long live the mulch.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 19:26:47 »
I still have her pm's in my inbox both here and at allotmentsnstuff.  I know she is sadly missed in both places - a very special lady. :(

Me too Ady!   :)  :'(

me too
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 19:51:57 »
Georgie - do you have Will's last address? I wiped it off. He might like to see the thread??

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 20:08:58 »
Sarah was one special person.  Full of good sense, knowledge and fun.  Always seem to be smiling despite her gruelling last months.  .

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 20:26:03 »
Georgie - do you have Will's last address? I wiped it off. He might like to see the thread??

Tim.  I've alerted one of Sarah's close friends to this thread and I'm going to email Will as well.  As far as I know Will is okay.  He's been travelling since he graduated and I think he was due back in the country last month.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 21:45:20 »
She was such a lovely lady.

Like so many others on this site I just cannot bring myself to delete her PM to me.  I had sent her some cyclamen corms, and she was so delighted with them.

I am one of many who only met her on the web, but miss her terribly.

Tim, it would be appreciated if you could post that lovely photo of Sarah that you posted shortly after her death.

valmarg

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 22:12:56 »
I'm another with pm's from her, Jerusalem fartichokes from her, and seeds from her.  I think about her often and do miss her.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 22:37:03 »
Yet another here who can't bring herself to delete the PMs. She pointed me toward the mulch and I've been a convert ever since. I think of her every time I gaze upon my straw strewn plot and I smile. One of the nicest people I've met through cyber space or in real life. I do miss her posts too. I find it hard to think she was going through that terrible illness and no-one would have guessed there was anything amiss.
Smile, it confuses people.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 23:00:42 »
I, too, have wonderful memories of our mulch-mad Sarah and was sad when I realised that I had deleted her PM's to me shortly before we were told she was so ill. I have a Victoria plum tree dedicated to her and often think of how she enriched so many lives. A lovely lady indeed.

Tricia

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 23:18:50 »
Thanks for starting this Georgie.

Think of Sarah often. We went on a few garden visits together, used to chat about a really wide range of subjects. Remember being so pleased when she asked me for a recipe, cos she'd had a go herself and hadn't quite got it as the jars I gave her. I swore her to secrecy, of course  ;D
She was good fun to be with. Not an angel, no paragon of virtue - she was just normal - really nice, really normal if you understand what I mean. I thought she was a bit "posh" when we first met, and told her so. We made it into a ongoing joke, and she bought me a little book called A Plain Cookery Book for The Working Classes. I'd given her JA's and she was mildly concerned at the "wind" effect, and did a fair bit of research on antidotes. She said she was going to give them to mates and wanted to be ready with answers. I reckon the world and his missus have got some of those JA's now, they must have grown like wildfire on her plot.
That was Sarah, do miss her.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 09:59:55 »
I often think of Sarah when I'm pottering in the garden, what a special lady

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 16:47:49 »
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.  I've emailed a link to this thread to Will.  I hope he sees it. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal