Author Topic: Hi from a newbie!  (Read 2470 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: Hi from a newbie!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 21:21:46 »
Hello and welcome - thought I'd stick my twopennorth in.  If you want a really good comprehensive book then I can recommend The New Vegetable and Herb Expert by Dr. D G Hessayon - explains everything really well including some of the more technical terms like spit! lol - I really didn't have a clue when I started and this has helped me enormously.  Got it for a few quid on Amazon.  Good luck and enjoy!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 19:35:41 »
Hi mr smith and thankyou posie, ill have a gander on there and see if i can persuade the oh,
we went off digging today and met a fellow plot holder in his 2nd yr, he gave us some rhubarb crowns he was splitting, hed inherited them with the site and says theyre yum! so exciting! we love rhubarb!! we quickly planted it in what was available to find out when we got home that we shouldve put the muck from the heap in the hole aswell, might have to re dig it tomorrow or maybe just bung some over the top n hope the goodies wash down :S oh well, i doubt weve killed it so cant b all bad!!! seems were filling what we dig so far, hmmm, best get the grassy area sorted or the kids wont get theyre fruit in and carrots theyve now decided upon, bless, anyhoo thanx again guys ur all so friendly! i was worried having 2 little people might scare everyone off us (kids are deffo heard b4 seen iykwim!!) lou xx
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 23:35:37 »
Hi Louise...
used to break at least one fork a year!
 ;D

bunjy

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 10:47:42 »
hi looopy saw you up the lottie other day with your two little ones ....i was the one in the back of the car mom and dad were in the front!!

hey when i first took on my plot i had twins 2 and son 3 i just took each day as it came if i got something done great if i spent all day running around after kids no harm done!!

hope to see you up there again good luck !!

tracy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 11:12:17 »
Hi, Loopy, welcome to the mad-house. Lots of advice going your way, if you do a trawl through the archives you'll find just about anything you need an answer to.
 Rhubarb crowns....bare in mind it's a plant that's going to sit in the same place for many years so make sure you give it a good start. If you have to dig up your newly planted ones, then do it.
 Dig a bigger hole than the plant root size and get loads of manure in the bottom. Put a layer of soil over that and then the plant. Don't pull any stalks (if you get any) this first year. Let them all die back into the ground. Next year pull only a quarter of them. This will ensure a good strong root.
Ken.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 15:30:39 »
Hi Loopy.
            Bet you ain't bin up the plot today eh! lol. Lovely to see someone young and enthusiastic. The soil in Erdington is very sandy but good. In dry weather we have to water regularly. Last year we hardly had to cos of all the rain. Carrots grow really well up there but you do have to protect them from carrot fly and foxes. Any wire netting you can get hold of will be useful. Pidgeons are a bit of a menace too. We really do have to protect almost everything. Our plot looks like a wire fortress. I'm sure we will have some left over plants for you in the spring. I do have some seeds as well. If I don't see you I will give them to the chap who gave you the rhubarb and he can put them in his shed for you ok. About gardening books. You have enough tat shops in Erdington to find one I'm sure without paying thru the nose. I've put a good word in at Wilkies for you. ok. Lidls have some good fruit trees for 3.99.
                                       All the best bab Shirl and Tone (plot52,53)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 16:27:11 »
oops i do like to chat... essays usually... guess its better you all find out now!!! lou xx

Jeez, I've only read three of your posts and my head's spinning. Your user name is very apt :)

Welcome to the er, now even madder (Now that your here) mad house. If you channel some of your writing energy into digging you'll have it all done by last week.

Oh, not sure if anyones told you yet but they like lots of before and after photo's on here.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 21:30:21 »
hello shirl! met you at last! and hey tracy! were pretty easy 2 spot i guess, lol!!! glad youve had 3 tiddlers up there, my 2 spent the other day splashing in a muddy puddle next to the tap, got soaked, then decided 2 eat me out of choccy biccies and fruit shoots and then it dawned that they were frozen! lol! kids! but itd be great if there were other little peeps that they could muck about with (litterally!!!) fingers crossed our kids get 2 meet up at some point, doesnt matter if there a few yrs difference camerons got enough energy to keep the national grid in buisness! if we could plug him in wed save a fortune!!
and hey plot69, i guess at least ive warned u all!!! i am dippy if nowt else, lol, and yeah i guess if i could dispose of the kids for a few days id get it done, im the sort who digs now thinks OUCH MY... later, bit of a silly mare but it gets stuff done :D oh and im on plot 68 HELLO NEIGHBOUR!!   :-* *watches as you run screaming!!!* hopefully ill be less hyper once weve got the hang of it all,(punctuation etc not my strong point eh?)  i guess what i hadnt bargained on is the pidgeons n foxes n the like, tho weve got plenty of fox prints to prove the case i guess, eeep! next is how to protect anything we do germinate i guess! omg such a novice!! I KNOW NOTHING!!!!! anyhoo frozen as i am up here (loft!) im dissapearing, tc n ttfn lou xx ;D
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal