Author Topic: double plastic tube for watering new trees  (Read 1222 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
double plastic tube for watering new trees
« on: February 02, 2008, 11:07:11 »
A few years ago there was an article about condensing water out of the air around a newly planted tree or shrub using two sheets of plastic standing up to encircle the plant. I think it was double walled. It claimed the plants grew so much faster with the continual dripping. There were holes at the bottom to let the cool air in which woujld then heat up, rise, and the water would condense out as it cooled and ran down the plastic into the ground.
I didn't think to copy the article of course and tried googling it but cannot find anything on line. Anybody know about this?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: double plastic tube for watering new trees
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 13:20:37 »
aren't these called watering berms  :-\ you could try searching this term if correct

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 15:12:16 »
It actually is not a berm but a tall double-wall of plastic, maybe a couple feet high that traps water vapor which condenses and drips back down into the soil. A clever idea especially here where we have humidity but often no rain.  But I still cannot find it on google. The article said they were using it in reforestation areas far from a water source.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 21:13:42 »
You may be referring to Tubex tree shelters. http://www.treessentials.com/products/tubex_shelters.htm

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 00:55:49 »
Tubex is getting closer but...what I'm looking for is primarily to condense out the moisture in the air to water the tree so there is a ring of openings along the bottom of one wall of plastic for the moist air to enter the tube. As the sun heats the air inside the plastictube  the air rises and when it cools higher up the water condenses and runs back into the ground. It was not a small diameter tube like Tubex.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal