Author Topic: How to build Fruit Cages  (Read 2561 times)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
How to build Fruit Cages
« on: February 01, 2008, 18:43:57 »
Anyone got simple and straightforward instructions on how to make your own fruit cages from scratch?
Any tips on materials much appreciated - preferably an economic system, we're already overspending on this garden lark.

tartonterro

• Acre
Re: How to build Fruit Cages
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 19:39:34 »
well - ive got myself some build-a-balls (http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/pd_558079.htm) - dont know whether to use canes, copper pipes or aluminum pipes

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 20:00:41 »
Ray used 2x2 tannelisd timber, 5x2 for the joists and chicken wire..much cheaper and longer than bought ones  :)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 19:51:41 »
Sorry, tartonterro and manicsousers, to be so late to reply to your suggestions to my cry for help (work and all that), but I am impressed!!! Many thanks for your advice!
These cages would surely do justice to the 30 or so fruit-bushes we have collected so far and keep the bloody pigeons out.
Love both ideas - now it's just a question of getting my partner to decide which one he will consider first. Will keep you posted of our efforts.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:01 »
Hi

I built one a few years ago and it was dead simple and cheap!

I put a load of 8' posts in (round the outside)  and some for door posts Wire on top of posts (thickish strong wire)  Bought a load of black plastic 8'  netting and put that round.  I think we criss crossed the top of the cage with wire so that we could attach the netting to the frame and made a flimsy door!  Worked a treat.

Round the base we just laid timber posts on the excess plastic netting to stop birds getting in that way.

Good luck with it whatever way you do it!

Old Bird

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:19:35 »
Thanks for that, old bird! Can't wait to get started! We hope to get stuck in as soon as the ground is just firm enough to actually stand on. After the deluges we have some brilliant sunshine today, which should help.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal