Author Topic: Anyone tried growing patio braeburns?  (Read 1216 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Anyone tried growing patio braeburns?
« on: January 26, 2008, 23:59:14 »
Wilkies have some patio apple 'trees' in - apparently they can just be grown in a pot and produce mini braeburns, was just wondering if anyone has tried a) to grow them and were they worth it and b) eating them - i would be worried they'd be too sharp - i'm a sweet tooth kind of gal!  :)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Anyone tried growing patio braeburns?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 00:10:29 »
A friend has a patio Braeburn in a large pot - it produces full size apples on a mini-tree and they're delicious!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:54:59 »
http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/braeburn.htm
Info on the apple in question :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:28:25 »
The variety Braeburn can be grown in the Uk but it does require a good long warm Summer to fully ripen the fruit. Plant in a sunny sheltered spot and you should be ok. I would not think any further North of the Midlands you will have much sucsess.
Jon

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 23:13:15 »
Hmmm, live in South Wales so not sure long hot summer is going to happen lol - but hell it's only a couple of quid, so no biggie I guess if it doesn't work.  :D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 21:32:31 »
Well I've bought one and also a patio pear, so fingers crossed.  Also bought seeds for watermelon, honeydew melon and kiwi fruit, all for greenhouse.  Anyone managed to grow kiwi???!

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 21:44:56 »
Posie
I have been growing a Kiwi (Jenny) in my garden now for 4 years and although I am yet to pick a fruit it is well worth its place in the garden just for its decorative affect. It is a great looking plant and the new red shoots are quite spectacular. I have mine growing over a pergola that I wanted to shade to patio underneath. It covered it quickly as it is a vigorous growing plant. It flowered last year and I got all excited but alas all dropped off. Do you know what variety you have ?
Jon

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 05:23:44 »
Well I've bought one and also a patio pear, so fingers crossed.  Also bought seeds for watermelon, honeydew melon and kiwi fruit, all for greenhouse.  Anyone managed to grow kiwi???!

I have several kiwis Atlas (male for pollination), Bruno, Hayward &  Jenny I also have 4 hardy kiwis all Issai. All grow well & produce fruit outdoors in the Machynlleth area somewhat further north than you.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 17:40:10 »
Hmm, not sure what variety actually, I'll have to check that.  That's assuming that my plastic greenhouse that I thought would be a good idea to put up yesterday is still standing after the wind today!  Fingers crossed I can get a decent plant out of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal