Author Topic: Growing Leeks  (Read 3463 times)

leiden64

• Not So New ...
Re: Growing Leeks
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 19:21:13 »
I've just started my leeks (Musselburgh plus another that I can't remember) in seed trays for next year's crops. Seed trays aren't ideal, but I never have any decently deep enough container and if I plant them directly onto allotment the horsetail will hide them within weeks and I'll never see them again!

I usually put some in early (i.e. Jan/Feb) and then plant a few more in seed trays in March/April if I'm not too busy doing other seeds. Sometimes they get pot bound if I'm busy, but it's never had a disasterous effect. I've tried growing 'earlies', 'midseason' and 'late' varieties, but to be honest never noticed any difference in their picking season so now I stick to one or two types. I keep them in a cold greenhouse, sometimes transplanting them into bigger seed trays, until around May when they are big enough to survive the weed onslaught. Yes they do take up valuable space on the plot for a long time of year, but with a family of 5 we get through a lot of them over winter and together with purple sprouting, cabbage and our stored squash they make up our staple veg for the winter months.

I don't prepare our soil at all and our plot is quite exposed. They just go in wherever there's space and wherever I've managed to tame the weeds a little. Did a lot of hand weeding last year cos I entered an allotment competition and I think the leeks benefitted from this. They don't seem to cope well with competition.

Still pulling last year's leeks - they tend to stand quite well here and although some will try to go to seed depending on the weather, mostly they've been ok. They suffered a little from rust and had a spot of white rot (probably from the cheap onion sets I planted) this year, but most of the leeks survived and considering the atrociously wet summer we had I thought they did pretty well.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 20:45:59 »
I like leeks in the winter - can't use them in the summer as generally eating beans and courgettes and salads. So I don't start them until may in modules. i plant them out June/July time and start picking the earlies (Pandora) in Nov/Dec, the other variety Bandit stand until April the following year before they start to throw flower stalks. They don't get any special treatment and go in with the carrots and parsnips

However compared to those that grow for the village show - mine are completely out of sync and the wrong type - they are thin when harvested (about 1 1/2 inch radius and the white parts are only about 6 - 8 inches long). But very sweet and lovely tossed in butter and black pepper.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 14:49:22 »
they are thin when harvested (about 1 1/2 inch radius and the white parts are only about 6 - 8 inches long).

If you have your dimension correct Suzanne those are championship size for pot leeks.......3" diameter Wow!!I'll have some seed please if that is the case.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 15:37:34 »
I'd settle for 1 1/2" diameter - not proud! What can you do with a 3" leek?/

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 15:43:08 »
What can you do with a 3" leek?/

Polite answers only?!?!

You let the servants eat them, according to a story I once heard about a nobleman - he generously kept the small ones for his table and fed the servants on the bigger ones! I know why...

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 17:16:05 »
not proud! What can you do with a 3" leek?/

Cock a leeky!

Why peel and chop 6 leeks when one will do?

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 17:30:08 »
What can you do with a 3" leek?

Add it to a 3" potato and make a pie.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 17:50:57 »
 ;D love leeks ... have lots of different sorts ... like the long slim jobs! :D

Just sown these in the greenhouse ... from seeds of distinction ...

LEEK PANCHO Ref: 0207C
The earliest of the Leeks. A March sowing will crop in August and on to December. Very long bulb free shanks. Pretty useful variety for early production and has a good level of resistance to bolting. Seeds in packet (200)

Need to do Bandit too ... already have Hannibal in.  Then Jolant and later St Victor  ;D 8)

... oo and there are some blue ones too 'Bleu de Solaise'  a Winter Leek some say better than Musselburgh ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 18:45:03 »
One thought - The first time I grew them, started in a seed tray, thinned out etc.
but I was waiting for them to reach 'pencil thickness' before planting out, as it says in the books... I waited a long time, and in the end it took nearly 2 years to get a single full grown leek!

So don't do that.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal