Author Topic: Play up Pompey  (Read 2374 times)

Lauren G

• Not So New ...
Play up Pompey
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:53 »
Hi my new allotment is in Portsmouth. Its called Longmeadows. Anyone else have one there? :)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Play up Pompey
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 13:41:39 »
I don't think many people would admit to living in Pompey ;D

Ex mudlarker now living over the solent.

Lauren G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 17:52:36 »
And where EXACTLY "over the solent" are you? :P

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 18:22:56 »
I'm up the River Itchen - nowhere near Pompey - only go there if I have to  >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 13:20:48 »
I have a plot in 'Milton Piece' in Southsea/Milton area.

I will let the anti Portsmouth comments wash over me as though they didnt exist ;)
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Lauren G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 18:08:50 »
Hi Jimmy nice to meet you ;D.  Cants understand the anti pompey comments :(. Maybe he's from Southampton ;) ;)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 20:46:08 »
I freely admit that I was borne and bred in good old Pompey, and only moved up to the Midlands, following most of the rest of the family ( and work). Went to the IOW a couple of times, sailed out of Pompey Harbour over to Ryde pierhead. I do miss the sea though as you can't get much further from it in this country. Used to do a lot of sea fishing too.

Still have a sister living in Bedhampton, and another (as far as I know) on Hayling Island. Also an aunt and uncle in Havant.

Family up here is so vast (my kids all grew up here, married and have kids of their own)now that we don't get down there much at all, especially since my grandparents are all passed on now and my parents,and the wifes mother all live up here(Northampton and MK) now too, as does a mate I've known since we were both 17. My mate BTW follows the scummers.

I remember the mudlarks down on the Hard. Used to see them when we got on the Gosport Ferry.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 23:41:23 »
I am over the water in Gosport, no one ever knows where it is ,so i just say between Portsmouth and Southampton thus showing no allegiance to either team! 8)
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

borderbabe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 13:34:25 »
Hello Tilts - I'm in Horndean so only 10 miles from Pompey!  Used to work down in Southsea but got fed up with the M275!

I'm new on here so apologise for bring up an old thread but was looking through things and getting a "feel" of this board - so far so good!
Hands off our Lotties!

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:31:40 »
bit of a delayed reply from me too!  I think in forum speak it could be refered to as a *bump*   :)

To Borderbabe:
I grew up in Horndean!  Well, Lovedean to be precise.  I never knew of any allotments in the area, but must say I never really looked into it.  It was only when I moved from my parents house in Lovedean Lane into a flat in Southsea that I realised how much I enjoyed their garden.  The allotment is a nice substitute, but nothing quite compares to being able to walk out of the back door and instantly be on your 'plot'.

To Tilts:
A cunning idea to balance the Pompey/So'ton thing.  Im often amazed by the passion with which certain people from one city dislike those from the other.  Really quite embarassing at times.  I overheard a conversation in a pub where someone from Portsmouth refused to go and collect a parcel that was sent back to the depot - because the depot was in Southampton!  Admittedly this might have been due to the distance involved (when surely there should have been a nearer depot), but his comments suggested it was just because it was Southampton.  What a strange and unfortunate person :)
I like your forum pic by the way.  Is it Porchester Castle?  I have a friend who showed me a very similar looking pic that he took from his window in Port Solent...

http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal