Author Topic: Disinfecting against club root  (Read 2119 times)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
Disinfecting against club root
« on: January 10, 2008, 14:19:20 »
Our old plot was infected with club root, and so far the new plot doesn't seem to have it.  We've not transferred anything yet, and I'm wondering how to go about transferring plants without spreading club root.  Is it possible to that?  And what's the best thing to use to disinfect tools, pots etc? 

Is it possible that we've infected our new plot already by transferring the nasties on our boots?  :-[

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Disinfecting against club root
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 14:41:37 »
What are you planning on moving?

As club root is endemic to brassicas I would say if you don't transfer any of these you should be quite safe.

Having said that as prevention is better than cure this is the way I keep it at bay;
http://tinyurl.com/yurwbc

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 19:28:54 »
The only things I really need to move are a couple of small fruit trees, but I was going to shift some leeks as well.  Thought the problem there might be with crop rotation, ie, that at some time there will be brassicas in where the leeks have been.  How long does it take for club root to die out?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 19:41:00 »
but I was going to shift some leeks as well.

??? Why  ???

I would say the freezer would be your best option as leeks will not take kindly to moving if they are anywhere near mature.

How long does it take for club root to die out?

I don't think there is an answer to this question. I think when it is on your plot it is there for keeps  and all you can do is take measures to ensure it doesnt get worse.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 19:43:36 »
How long does it take for club root to die out?
Up to 20 years and even then there is no guarantee due to the constant use of the lottie. Though it is possible to contain and reduce over time.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 20:44:08 »
Moving the leeks cos they're not really big enough to eat just now, although don't know if I can really be bothered...

20 years???  Agh!  We have managed to contain it so far and minimise the effects, it's just that I would've liked to be able to sow stuff straight into the ground in stead of having to grow all my brassicas in pots first.  S'pose I'll just have to see what happens.

Should I be sterilising all my tools as well?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 20:45:55 »
Should I be sterilising all my tools as well?

Cleaning them in a Jeyes fluid mixture will be fine
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 19:31:50 »
lime or good old soot can help club root get it on the plot now then dig in when spring gets here ive done all my plot this year with soot as ive had a wire worm problem, the soot can be used for many things, dont get much of it now as every one has gone gas central heating. some folk use a small amount when planiting out there brassicas in the dib hole.

today i will be growin veg!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal