Author Topic: This Puzzels Me...  (Read 867 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
This Puzzels Me...
« on: January 22, 2008, 21:53:49 »
Several times I have read members saying that they have checked seeds for viability (germination) etc. Without sowing the seeds and waiting for them to pop their little faces into the World. How on earth do you check this?

???  ???
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
Re: This Puzzels Me...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 22:00:52 »
I've usually popped a couple of seed on damp kitchen roll in a tub and popped it somewhere dark/cold/warm/light depending on the seed. Keeping an eye out for it swelling up, little root, or anything peeking out.
I am NO expert so would be intrigued to know how you are supposed to do it. I was kind of opting for a -conditions without the stuff which blocks out the seeing what's going on! ??? Does that make any sense at all! :)
DeeBee

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:32:23 »
I understand the question and go along with Dee Bee.

Having said that I think it is a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted, why not just sow them and keep your fingers crossed.

If they germinate fine! if not tough!

OK it might save a bit of compost if you find this test fails, but what if the test is inconclusive??

When I am in this predicament I just sow them but do not bank on success, if I get a few plants all well and good, if not; it is not the end of the world.

But thats me!!  ::)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:10:58 »
Thanks Dee Bee and Tee Gee. I'll just *Sow and See*  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:14:51 »
You can presprout on quite a few crops and it does save you time.  You just do as you have done - sprout the seed on some damp tissue, and the moment there are signs of life, GENTLY plant them out and let them get on with things.

Generally speaking, many seeds will sprout quicker and easier indoors due to the higher temp, and if you plant them on quick enough once they sprout, will continue to do well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal