Author Topic: Frogspawn  (Read 21650 times)

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
Re: Frogspawn
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 20:31:00 »
just found this thread and find it very interesting, my wife made our little allotment pond at the end of 2006 and I  put in loads of toad spawn from the local trout pool last spring  and fed the tadpoles on wheatgerm I had for the goldfish at home , they all matured but have seen none since they left the pond . I was hoping they would return this year to mate but none yet but do have loads of frog spawn that arrived three weeks ago yet never seen a frog!!

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 22:14:22 »
Boo hoo still no frog spawn.  Caught a wandering frog in the street out front the other day, carried it through the house and put it on the edge of the pond but still nowt.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 21:59:31 »
Boo hoo still no frog spawn.  Caught a wandering frog in the street out front the other day, carried it through the house and put it on the edge of the pond but still nowt.
go and look for another frog I think it may take two (or more lol)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 20:06:37 »
Absolutely heaps of spawn in my garden pond since last week...only just found this thread :) We have heaps n heaps of frogs come back every year now :)

Mark /\

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 23:35:41 »
well I've had four lots of spawn now. Two lots laid on the 1st of march and two more laid on the 16th.

When I got the first two I put one lot of spawn in my wildlife pond which is only tiny.
The spawn in the wildlife pond has not matured its still round black blobs. It still looks ok though.

The spawn left in my pond look like mini taddies and soon will hatch. I will leave them all alone and
see what happens. There fascinating to watch grow up so will have to remember to take lots of photos
this time around.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 10:17:26 »
 :'( :'( :'(

I think I have lost all mine. A couple of sharp frosts about 2 weeks ago mustv'e finished them off.

Understandable really. It was laid far too early. Thats the problem climate change seems to be bringing. A mild spring like spell in mid winter (like the mild january we had) tricks wildlife into thinking it is spring. then winter bites back and gives many of the plants and animals a massive shock.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2008, 22:44:34 »
We have mounds of spawn, the first time in our new bigger pond but this cold cold weather worries me.  The pond is quite sheltered so fingers and toes crossed.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 22:43:43 »
Where can i possibly get frog spawn, short of nicking some from somewhere :o :o :o.

stig

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2008, 20:26:39 »
When i first found the spawn it was on top of a marginal plant basket and half sticking out of the water (someone must've  been in a hurry!). I carefully moved it into deeper water, so it didnt dry out or get attacked by birds. Speaking of which i understand frogspawn can get predated by birds, not just water birds but land ones as well (if they can get to it). I think blackbirds can be partial to a bit of frogspawn, but I could be wrong there.

When you say report it on the BBC website, I take it you mean the Springwatch site?

i have newts a plenty,but the frogs seem to have desserted me do they return?
im stig (thats short for stig in the mud)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 20:57:43 »
Our frogs over winter under the muck in the bottom of the pond. Saw a big one drying off on a cold rock today. Yours will probably reappear soon. a great blue heron flew over today and they'll eat the frogs- Gulp! but there never seems to be a shortage. We haven't seen any spawn yet.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal