Author Topic: Dredging the bottom of the freezer!  (Read 1394 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Dredging the bottom of the freezer!
« on: January 22, 2008, 20:04:27 »
It's that time of year when I'm looking at all the veg I've frozen, far too much to eat before the best before dates  :(  Anyone got a great soup or other recipe for runner beans, yellow beans, courgettes, marrow, broad beans, sprouts (I cropped them very early  ::) ) and parsnips? Also got loads of frozen cooked beetroot (hubby doesn't like beetroot soup tho') so not sure what to do with that.....and I so hate waste!
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Re: Dredging the bottom of the freezer!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 23:27:13 »
I know it won't use up vast quantities but what about using some of them up, chopped small, in things like stuffed dumplings or potatocakes, or even an odd curry? You'll probably have to pickle the beetroot for yourself.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 12:53:35 »
You can puree beetroot and add natural yog and horshradish and make a dip which is apparantly very good with cheese etc  But you can roast beetroot which is wonderful. And of course you can make beetroot chocolate fudge cake (recipie already posted).

You can make parsnip soup (i will find and post recipie today)

You can make courgette soup and i will find that recepie as well.

Sprouts, you can make bubble and squeeke with these.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 13:00:10 by cambourne7 »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 15:38:39 »
we had a meal at the weekend, cooked a ham, had cauliflower cheese, roast pots, sweet pots,parsnips, onions and sprouts, everything left over was thrown into the ham stock and pulverised, lovely soup..so, I'd just bung everything in to some stock, apart from the beetroot, maybe ..and make a pot of soup..it's a surprise what it tastes like  ;D
I often throw frozen courgettes in stir fries

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal