Author Topic: Food processor recommendations please!  (Read 5514 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Food processor recommendations please!
« on: January 16, 2008, 20:42:37 »
I'm looking to buy a new food processor, and would like to hear from folks who use theirs a lot and are happy with it.

I'd like a really good quality one, something sturdy, large capacity, variable speed, that will chop, grate, slice and that is easy to clean.

I don't need juicing attachments or dough mixing gadgets on it, especially, but don't mind if they come as standard.

Advice please!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Food processor recommendations please!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:55:39 »
Don't normally use one myself, but the following is a list of Best Buys from a Which? report in November 2007

Best Buys
Magimix Compact 3100

* Price: £155
    * Score: 82%
    * Type: Processor only

Compare prices: Magimix Compact 3100
magimix compact 3100

This medium-sized processor from Magamix is really quiet and easy to use and does an excellent job of most processing tasks.

It has a dough blade attachment which does a good job of kneading. It chops quickly, evenly and finely and is excellent at grating and slicing. Only the paddle accessory which is used for whipping and whisking was slightly disappointing; it works well, but takes longer and does not beat in as much air traditional whisk attachments.

KitchenAid Artisan 5KFPM770

* Price: £269
    * Score: 80%

Compare prices: KitchenAid Artisan 5KFPM770
KitchenAid 5KFPM770BNK Artisan

The Best Buy Artisan 5KFPM770 performs well in all tasks, is quiet and very durable and has a good range of accessories.

This processor feels solid and even kneads heavy dough without wobbling. It’s particularly good at grating and slicing and the buttons are clear and well-positioned.

Philips Cucina Click and Go HR7735

* Price: £70
    * Score: 79%
    * Type: Processor with liquidiser

Compare prices: Philips Cucina Click and Go HR7735
philips cucina click and go hr7735

The HR7735 is a smaller Philips processor that's very easy to set up and dismantle and both the processor and jug are great at a wide range of tasks.

It makes fast work of chopping, grating and slicing tasks and the dough blade mixes cakes and kneads dough effectively. The jug blender makes excellent mayonnaise and purées to an even and fine consistency as well as making great milkshakes and smoothies. It has an emulsifying disk instead of a balloon beater which is quite quick but produces less voluminous whisked eggs and whipped cream than a whisk.

Magimix Compact 3200

* Price: £149
    * Score: 78%

Compare prices: Magimix Compact 3200
Magimix 3200

The Best Buy Compact 3200 is quiet, easy to clean, very solid and does a great job of most processing tasks.

It's supplied with mini and midi bowls in addition to the main bowl and usual attachments, although we found that the mini bowl isn't as effective at chopping herbs and onions as the main processor.

Morphy Richards Food Fusion 48950

* Price: £135
    * Score: 78%

Compare prices: Morphy Richards Food Fusion 48950
Morphy Richards 48950 CHOP

This Best Buy Morphy Richards is a great choice for left-handers as the bowl can be fixed either way around.

It's particularly good at chopping grating, mixing and slicing and is capable of processing large quantities of food. It's one of the best and fastest food processors at chopping and took just 6 seconds to grate 150g of carrots, for example. A mini chopping bowl and blade is also supplied for smaller quantities of food, such as nuts and herbs.

Kenwood Multipro FP920

* Price: £100
    * Score: 74%
    * Type: Processor with liquidiser

Compare prices: Kenwood Multipro FP920
Kenwood FP920

This Best Buy Multipro FP920 from Kenwood also has a liquidiser and offers impressive processing and blending along with a good range of accessories. However, it's more fiddly than most to assemble.

The processor does well all round and is particularly good at mixing and slicing. The liquidiser is excellent, if a little noisy. The jug blender can be taken apart, which makes it easy to clean, but the spindle which rotates the blade isn't permanently fixed to the processor, so you have to assemble that too.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:38 »
We've used Magimix for decades. Unbreakable & indefatigable. No need for variable speed?

You don't need a juice extractor, but theirs is great for the Bramley season et al.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 15:58:18 »
My hubs has just bought me an Anthony W.T processor by Breville. I have only used it twice so far, I have nothing to compare it with as its my first. But it seems fine.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 17:58:56 »
Whichever, DO get one with at least a Mini bowl - if not a Midi as well.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 19:55:15 »
I have two Magimixes.  An old robochef, and a 5100.  The robochef gets the most use, but wouldn't be without the 5100.  The 5100 has a minibowl, but its virtually never used.

Alongside these I have a Bamix stick blender.

The machines' uses overlap in certain areas, but I wouldn't be without either.

For example, making soup, the Bamix, with chopper blade attachment, you don't need to transfer the soup mix to the processor, you just wazz the mix in the container you've cooked it in.

The Bamix also has a minibowl which grinds coffee, spices,etc, chops herbs, nuts, etc.  It also grinds granulated sugar down to icing sugar. and cheddar cheese mixed with a bit of milk makes wonderful cheese whizz for topping toast.

With the Bamix and blender blade I can make mayonnaise in seconds (so long as the egg is at room temperature).  Just break the egg into the goblet, add a teaspoon of mustard powder, half a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of white wine vinegar and a teaspoon of lemon juice.  Add c. 300 mls of oil (the cookbook states sunflower, but I tend to use groundnut).  Wazz on high for about 12 seconds, lift the blender up through the mixture, et voila wonderful mayonnaise without additives or preservatives!!

I'm afraid cookery equipment shops to me, are like toy shops to kiddies.

valmarg

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 20:13:10 »
We had a Braun for years. At least - two Brauns, because the first one eventually collapsed on us so we replaced it. Then that threatened to go the same way.

But for Christmas I got a Magimix 5200 (with mini & midi bowls!). It's brilliant! It's got the sort of sturdy quality machines don't have more. (We are still using our original Kenwood Chef from the '70s! This one looks as good.)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 22:11:44 »
P.S. and the Kitchen Aid for making bread.  Wonderful!!

valmarg

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 06:30:58 »
Thanks very much for your suggestions, I will be doing the buying next week so any more info is very welcome.
I do like the look of the Magimix 5200, as well as the Kitchen Aid range. Choices, choices!
One thing that puzzles me. I've been using a machine with variable speed control, and so thats what I was looking for. These don't appear to have that. With the variable speed, I can get good control of the size of chunk of food, e.g. I can cut swede into regular(ish) pieces roughly 1/2" on slower speeds, and cut down to fine breadcrumb size on the higher speeds.
How do you cope with that type of thing?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:51:43 »
Oh, dear - I cut my swede by hand - quicker & less washing up. And it has to be cut into medium bits for the machine?

But because of the type of motor, it goes slow for the heavy stuff & quick for the breadcrunbs etc.

Oh, well, anything to oblige......................................!!

7 pulses. Not exaxtly 1/2" I'm afraid!!  PS Agree with stick blender as well. Fine for dough as well.

Oh, dear - I cut my swede by hand - quicker & less washing up. And it has to be cut into medium bits for the machine?

But because of the type of motor, it goes slow for the heavy stuff & quick for the breadcrunbs etc.

Oh, well, anything to oblige......................................!!  7 pulses. Not exaxtly 1/2" I'm afraid!!

PS Agree with stick blender as well. Fine for dough as well.

Oh, & later- breadcrumbs of course - fishcakes today!

Must say, I do like the look of the new Kenwood Multipro Libra - seems to have everything in a smallish package?

http://www.wheesh.com/Product/194/FP950/wheesh/kenwood-multipro-libra.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:47:00 by tim »

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 08:46:12 »
I inherited my magimix from my mum who bought it around 1983 and it has been brilliant, I recently dropped it on the floor (the main motor part) while trying to get it out of the cupboard and it's a little bit worse for wear now.  ::) I would highly recommend magimix though they are real workhorses!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 14:36:20 »
I bought a Bifinett Processor/liquidiser from Lidl last October. From the word go it was difficult - and ultimately impossible - to get the processor part to function, so I returned it as defect to Lidl last week for a full refund. Since then I have been doing internet research and at the same time following this thread with great interest.

I realised that if I wanted a machine that would probably outlast me I would have to dig rather deeper in my pocket so after much thought and surfing for best price I have ordered the Kenwood Multipro FP920 from Asda for £104.29 + £7.75 delivery. I almost went for the FP950 which has integrated scales, but I recently bought new scales so really couldn't justify spending another £50+ for the jazzier model.

I'll post back when I've had a chance to try it out (delivery about 10 days).

Tricia

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 22:51:41 »
Oh Tim, what a dear you are, trying that swede out to demonstrate! Looks to be a fair enough result  though. I take your point about cutting swede by hand, but usually I'm doing pretty large batches along with other veg too, so it'd be a really worthwhile session. The results you show look fine enough to me.

Thanks to all for your input, it's been really useful. I've had a good 15 years out of my current processor, so can't really complain, but it's been used almost every day for the last 3 years so is now struggling just a little. Shall be sad to see it go though!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 20:24:26 »
i have a kenwood that has a blender and grinder fitting that goes on the top too its fab and all the dirty bits go in the dish washer rest just needs a wipe over with a damp cloth had it probably a good 15 years and still as good as new

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 23:17:01 »
I recently bought a Magimix 4200 with midi and mini bowls. I have to say I am very impressed and I use the mini bowl far more than I expected to.
Great for finely chopping food for the cat-with-no-teeth. ;D , 1 onion and 1 anything else really.
I did try making mayo in the main bowl but it was a disaster, probably operater error though ::) Will try with my stick blender.
Smile, it confuses people.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 14:23:32 »
I got the Magimix 4100 last summer and it is brilliant. It is the XL automatic so you don't need a variable speed. I am very pleased with it, and it is so easy to use and keep clean.  Agree about the whipping eggs for pavlova etc as the mix is denser, but not so fluffy, so I got an electric hand mix for Christmas, which works better for that.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 17:09:33 »
I had a toshiba food processor which I won in 1983, I threw it out (still working.....yes I tried freecycle and lot's of people said they wanted it and didn't turn up) because my husband decided we should have a new one and came across the Magimix with the 3 bowls on special offer. It gets the best review but I've only used it twice...so I'll tell you in 25 years time whether it's as good as the old one!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 17:24:54 »
I use a Moulinex Ovatio 2 which I've had for at least 12 years and which does all the things I want it to. I don't think it's available anymore. I also have a v old Kenwood Chef (orange and brown with a stainless steel bowl..70's??). It works pretty well too but smells of ozone when it gets asked to work too hard. ;)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 18:23:50 »
I use a Moulinex Ovatio 2 which I've had for at least 12 years ...

My old one was a Moulinex too!

I think I do fancy the Magimix, all I have to do now is earn enough to pay for one  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 20:24:19 »
Just tried the shredder attachment with red cabbage (magimix 4200), very impressed. ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 20:25:59 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal