Author Topic: No eggs  (Read 1500 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
No eggs
« on: January 22, 2008, 22:14:59 »
 :'( :'(  cant understand why my six hens are not laying eggs, plenty of corn and layers pellets, scraps, wholemeal bread leftovers plenty of water, Whats going wrong?? last egg we had was a week ago and only one!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: No eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 18:57:38 »
They may be moulting. This is an annual occurrence and can last up to 6 weeks. It is usually over within 2-3 for most breeds though. Give them a month or so and see what happens. Should be fine.

(Hopefully not - On a nasty note if you do not think they are moulting - look for signs of eggs being eaten - broken egg shell, stickiness of uncooked egg in  the nest. If this is so then it puts a totally different spin on things.) See how it goes.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 21:44:10 »
also may i add i have 22 birds & they are moulting ive had a few with the eggs being eaten/broke i put them on growers pellets rather than layers to give them a break and just to help them through this & i have no more broken eggs im still getting 6/8 eggs a day & they are looking well they all have a new plume showing now.

from the farmer boy (aka thegoodlife)
today i will be growin veg!!

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 21:15:49 »
Could be moulting - but that will be very noticable.  Are any broody - sitting in house for long periods???  Just keep turfing them out of the nesting box will last for 3/4 weeks.

Another thing to look for....mine stopped when they had lice if so dust them and their house!

Red mites might be another cause......at night go to their house and using a piece of kitchen roll just rub any crack/crevice near to where their chickens perch...it should be evident - if so seriously clean and powder the house.

Might just be winter blues and lack of light.

Good luck - let me know how you get on.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal