Author Topic: Does chicken feed bio-degrade?  (Read 1397 times)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
Does chicken feed bio-degrade?
« on: January 21, 2008, 22:25:30 »
Hi All,

Just wondering if someone might be able to to solve this one for me? - I've now managed to get the 4ft weeds cut down in my new allotment and have discovered that there all loads of chicken feed pellets (at least I think they are, as the last guy kept chickens) all over the plot. The previous guy who had the plot has been gone for around 6 years, so they must have been lying around that long - but they still seem perfectly intact.

Will they eventually rot away? - do I need to worry about them? - just concerened they might damage the soil?  - but if they feed chickens, I guess they shouldn't do any harm??!!

p.s. - I've added a few update photos to my profile if anyone would like to see the developments of the plot! - still a long way to go, but quite pleased with it for just a couple of Saturday mornings working on it (will the weather ever pick up?!!)

cheers,
Sheddie ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Does chicken feed bio-degrade?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 23:57:32 »
Just dig them in. Should be fine. When left in the open rain they turn to mush anyway.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:59:10 »
My feed pellets turns to mush as soon as there's drizzle so I wouldn't have thought they'd last six years without being eaten by mice/rats or washed away.... are you sure that they're not rat poison or something like that?

Jon

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:24:03 »
I am with Jon. They  break down and go to powder if stood in a damp shed and not put in an airtight container .  Doubt  very much if they would stay intact outside on the  garden ,I can't think of anything that is used on a lotty that is  pelleted and would'nt break up left on the garden that long .. Especially with all  the rain thats been around last year and this..
Any one else any ideas?
Cheers .. Jim

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:25:12 »
could they be the clay pellets people use on pots ?  :)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 22:49:25 »
Hi All,

Thaks for the replies - you've put my mid at rest. The pellets are small, more or less pea size and reddish brown in colour - if that helps?

They could be rat poison I guess? - The reason I thought they were feed pellets is that they are mainly located around the location where the chicken run was. As I say, the plot hadn't been touched for 6 years and was miles high in weeds and brambles - unless that protected them from the elements?

Anyhow, as long as they're 'nowt to worry about - I'll just dig them in

thanks again,
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 23:23:59 »

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 23:02:54 »
Ah-ha!

Cheers Baccy Man - the photo looks spot on, so it looks like you'e cracked it!

thanks for the help guys
Sheddie] ;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 00:05:15 »
I suggest you use them as mulch rather than digging them in. They won't do any harm if you dig them in but you might as well make the most of them, as you can see on that link they are not exactly cheap.

Other things they can be used for are:
A growing medium in a hydoponics setup.
Filtration and purification of rainwater & greywater or in pond filters.
Insulation especially under flooring on roofs.
Heat proofing in kilns, stoves and ovens.
As an addative to make lightweight aggregate and as a backfill to structures.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal