Author Topic: My First Allotment - any tips?  (Read 5619 times)

SAFMF

My First Allotment - any tips?
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:45:14 »
I have just taken over my first allotment about 3 weeks ago, it was fairly overgrown.  Does any body have any tips on what veg i could sow first just to get me going.
Also any ideas on where i can buy some PVC wire mesh from?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: My First Allotment - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:33:35 »
Hi & welcome.

I assume by "fairly overgrown" you mean "very overgrown"? Most plots are when they're first taken on. You obviously need to spend time cutting back the undergrowth and generally clearing. (Plenty of advice here about that if you trawl back.)

As for crops, potatoes are good of course; with all the earthing up and digging involved "they" (ie. you) clear up the ground. But if you get some land clear, go for something simple: onion sets, climbing beans, courgettes, squashes. Or lettuce for a quick crop. (Buy in the plants if necessary.) And leeks to plant out in June to overwinter.

You want something simple that gives quick & guaranteed results the first year. Go for the clever stuff next year.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:46:58 »
Congratulations! I bet you're excited!

Do you have a greenhouse or a sunny windowsill? If so get your peppers and aubergines in now!

I'm a big fan of sowing cut and come again mixed salad leaves, I have a huge bed full! no need to plant any other lettuce then, very expensive in the supermarket too!

Feb is a great time to sow! too many things to mention!! PS I have a slight head start being in Spain, but it's still quite chilly here in these mountains!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 09:00:00 »
Hiya, safmf..welcome to the site..you could always cover a patch with black plastic, after you've cut the weeds down, plant squash or courgettes through it..this kills the weeds and when you pull  the squash up, the soil will be nicely cleared for you  ;D
mind you, that's a bit later, as Trevor says, potatoes break up the soil for you, and you can still plant fruit trees and bushes, also strawberries until the end of march  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:59:23 »
Courgettes are a great starter,easy to grow and the more you pick the more they grow.Runner beans are great value,you can stock the freezer up for months.Also loved putting up the canes for the beans,it gives the plot some height and focus.I plant two varieties together and had a good show of red and white flowers together.Pick regularly else they go stringy.yuk.
Leave the roots in at the end of the season as they add Nitrogen to the soil.Wait till frosts are gone.Onion sets are great,again easy and productive.I lost my spuds last year due to the very wet weather.Don't think added enough muck to the soil and my clay soil ended up as a swimming pool for spuds.Disappointing after a great start.Also planted some roses and clematis to help attract the bees to my plot for pollination.
Good luck.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:30:01 »
I have just taken on an allotment which was overgrown, we cut all the rubbish down with my mates industrial strimmer then with hard work I have just about dug half of the 250sq metres, like Trev says I will be putting in a load of potatoes(for other people we don't eat many)  which will break the ground down also root crops and beans and next year it will be the fancy stuff, initally itis hard work but worth it :).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 18:38:02 »
Welcome to the site SAFMF, hope you enjoy your plot and the stay... you've had some good advice already...
Take it steady with the digging!
 ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 19:44:55 »
Hi there, welcome to the site, it's full of load of good ideas and tips and everyone's been really friendly and helpful, I went through loads of different sites when I first got my lottie and this is most definitely the best!  Just do little and often and take it easy with the digging - oh and don't make the mistake of digging when it's really warm, I ended up in bed for 3 days with sunstroke! lol It's easy to get over-enthusiastic lol Oh and if you decide to do a compost box then be careful when or if you turn it, I rather enthusiastically turned mine the other day and a rat came flying towards me! Don't want to kill the little blighter but it so needs to stay out of my way!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 19:45:07 »
We got our first allotment last year and my biggest tip is get friendly with the other people on your site. They will know the soil, weather and varieties that grow well on the site. Allotment folk are always willing to give you good advice, help and freebies too!

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 00:39:20 »
Welcome to the site - Local knowledge !!! and send us pictures !!!

Riffster

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:21:40 »
Hi Sam and welcome, when we took over our (weed covered) plot in August we decicded to make it into a series of raised beds. Lots of hard work to begin with, but more managable in the long run. We made the first bed and planted some Marrows that had been growing on the patio in a gro-bag in it. That way, we always had something to admire as we slaved away, working on the next one!! We dug out all the weeds and as many of the roots as possible, added some sharp sand and bagged compost to each one as we went along. Just made number 10 this weekend!! Only 8 more to go. The first 2 rows of beds are 8ft x 4ft and the last row will be 11ft x 4ft, with the front one in each row being a deep bed to grow root crops in. We also covered up the area with tarp and just rolled it back as we went along. Good luck and happy digging

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 19:27:06 »
My tip is spray it first to kill all weeds so you can get on with growing sooner and have less weeds later.

Why do you want pvc wire mesh? Galvanised is best. Ironmongers, garden centres or farm supplies sell it. You do not say what it is for? It comes in different diameter mesh.

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 22:07:32 »
Hi there, I'm a newbie too!  The advice is great for me to see, I've just battled a whole jungle load of blackberry brambles, left the roots in for now so I can train a couple up along the fence.  Learnt the hard way that a good pair of gloves is essential!!!!!! :-X  The place for freebies I've found great already is freecycle, it is a yahoo site and you sign in to your local area so you don't have to go far to exchange your recycle able things!  I've been offered a greenhouse, needs a little tlc and dismantling but I can't wait!  QUESTION!  May sound dumb, but is an 'onion set' the little onion bulbs rather than a seed?  Also what distance should I plant them at?  Got a great bargain on them at Downtown Garden Centre on the A1, I just went in for a browse on a long trip home and their prices were pretty impressive!  Seeds were 2 for 1, so I stocked up early.
Glad I found this site
Twirlie

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 22:17:40 »
Hello Twirlie and welcome to a great friendly site  ;D.
Onion sets need to be planted out about 6-8 inches apart and allow about 18 inches between rows.
I got this info from A4A member Tee Gee's web site.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Indexes/index.htm

Good Luck with your plot
Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 06:07:27 »
hiya, twirlie..nice to meet you..I learned about gloves the same way, nettles don't half sting  :o ;D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 00:44:50 »
i agree with the freecycle site, I have manged to get a greenhouse for my allotment ( needed work but does the job) tons of pots and planters and a womery and compost bin.  Go on the internet and look for  the closet freecycle site to you, its a godsend for people with allotments and helps the keep the tips down aswell

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 01:05:57 »
Welcome to you both from me and good luck, you will soon be in there digging for all you are worth and passing on your tips. Good Luck XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal