Author Topic: Top soil question...  (Read 1332 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Top soil question...
« on: January 21, 2008, 14:10:30 »
I'm thinking of making some raised beds and I was wondering where people got the top soil from?

All the places I've looked at seem pretty expensive considering the ammount you'll need to fill a few raised beds...
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Pinkwellies

• Not So New ...
Re: Top soil question...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 14:19:13 »
Hi Cuke, I'd be very interested in hearing any responses to this question as we are planning to fill raised beds soon too.  I remember when buying turf that there were a lot of ads in the back of the local paper, although I haven't looked recently - have you tried this?  I'm guessing it's expensive from garden centres??
Pinky

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 16:12:48 »
In my experience or should I say my Son & Daughters experience 'topsoil' is a minefield.

What we have found that the supplier is only after a sale and often doesn't know the difference between topsoil and subsoil.

If you can go and have a look at what you are buying do do!

If you decide to buy when the wagon arrives, again check what you are getting, as some suppliers will show you the good stuff at the spoil heap, then when it arrives at your plot you find it is of a different quality.

At least you can send it back if it is not what you want.

As an alternative ( but it will be hard work)

I guess you have some topsoil on your plot but it might be quite a thin layer!

If  so lift it and stock pile it, loosen the subsoil beneath it then tip on a thick layer of farmyard manure, then put you stock piled topsoil on it.

In subsequent years just dig in more farmyard manure . Then in a few years time your beds will be deep and fertile.

At least this way you will be guaranteed growing soil this year whereas imported soil might be quite useless.

As I always say;

What you get out of a garden is equal to the effort put in i.e. nout in nout out.

I have been nurturing my plots for over twenty years and although they are quite good they are not perfect. So what I am saying is ...........don't expect instant success.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 16:39:07 »
Great advice, as usual!!

And one does not know if the soil is infected.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 16:49:27 »
We are hoping to build some raised beds this year and our plan is th start with a good thick base of manure(which I have plenty of) followed by soil from the lotty and finish off with a good layer of peat, do you think this will work? :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 17:11:06 »
Do a pH check before you add the peat!

Your soil might be be on the acid side and peat could aggravate the situation more.

Wait till your planted out then put the peat to where it is need most.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 20:59:58 »
Use some soil from digging a thin layer from the paths. This way the bed height doubles at half the soil quantity you add. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 21:14:59 »
try your local council, im sure they are doing some road widening some where, or a building site ask nicely and they will be happy to help im sure as it will only go for land fill.

And as for the infection in the soil if any,soak with good old jay,s fluid!
today i will be growin veg!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 21:17:35 »
try your local council, im sure they are doing some road widening some where, or a building site ask nicely and they will be happy to help im sure as it will only go for land fill.

Tell them what it is for. Our council top soil is no good for some things due to rubbish in it, though it would possibly do a plot. Just clear it as you go.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 23:01:31 »
I completed one raised bed last year and one this year.
I have used a combination of compost from our own heaps, bought compost, builders sand sieved soil from rest of allotment. At present they have 6-8" in each bed and will add more compost and sieved soil on a yearly basis to bulid up level a bit more.

I agree it is a good idea to check ph level

Pinkwellies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 17:08:53 »
I love the 'dig from the path' idea - genius!
To expand on a previous post - if we made our raised beds, put some of our own compost on it, and topped it up with soil from elsewhere in our garden (and the paths of course!), would that be OK?
Sorry to ask such a possibly obvious question, but I am a newbie so feel I can get away with it - what is a good soil pH?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 20:37:10 »
if we made our raised beds, put some of our own compost on it, and topped it up with soil from elsewhere in our garden (and the paths of course!), would that be OK?

Its fine. Don't put too much compost in all of them as some crops don't like it too much.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 20:41:56 »
we use compost delivered from the council or rather the people who sort the green waste, its heat treated and is usualy ok. This is dug in with horse manure.

Not had a delivery since october and i have 12 new beds to fill so need to get some soon.

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 23:06:46 »
I'm so far behind this year that I am following a two stage process.  Doing the woodwork now and making the beds up to height as I can.  Those that I can't do I'll just use normally and hope this year pans out better than the last one and they get done sometime  :)

Steve

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal