Author Topic: Oriental Vegetables  (Read 1084 times)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Oriental Vegetables
« on: January 06, 2008, 18:26:07 »
In my ongoing quest to grow and eat new veggies I have found the world of Oriental vegetables most interesting.  I just came across this website that has a great listing of veggies, including a few new to me.

I thought you would also find this site of interest:

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/index.html

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Oriental Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 18:50:58 »
I know a bit about this one, the site is real good read, lots of stuff but last year when I tried to order  it was impossible to get beyond the e mail stage. They said they would ship to the UK but were very vague as to costs, they wanted me to do a complete order before they would discuss a quote,  I asked about say eg 20 packets of seed, they wanted to know exactly which one, I said all  would be leafy greens, again they wanted to know exactly which ones. Finally I asked if they would ship in an International flat rate Global priority  pouch which I use regularly, it cost $9.50 and can be stuffed with anything you like up to 4 pounds weight, as long as the pouch closes it is accepted, but agian they wanted to know the exact details, in the end I gave up. I can have 8 yards of fabric sent in  one of these pouches so I know full well how many packets of seed will go in.

It was a shame as they had stuff I would have bought but I think they are not used to sending out of the US and it was too complicated for them.

They may be better than last year now though.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:13:23 »
Hi robo8,  :D
Have you tried the real seed company? they carry a good range of oriental veg & salad, I can personally vouch for the giant miike mustard & "Osaka Purple " Mustard Greens for cooking, I sowed both of these in late August last year & they are still growing well & giving a good crop, They will be a MUST grow veg for this year. ;D
                                             Adrian.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:37:26 »
many of them are so popular now that nearly all the seed merchants sell a good range and if you want something specifically that they don't stock it is worth talking to them to see if they can add to their range

they really do make interesting additions to your yearly harvesting  :)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:22:09 »
I placed a huge order with www.evergreenseeds.com and have been very happy with the process thus far.  Seeds should arrive early next week so I will report back when they do.

This could very well be a seed swap later in the season for interested parties.  It seems most of the oriental veg I ordered are autumn/winter growing either in the open or with some protection (this according to Joy Larcombe's book).

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 23:07:20 »
Count me in (get in quick, beat the rush)!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal