Author Topic: Anyone up for the Okra challenge this year?  (Read 68696 times)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Re: Anyone up for the Okra challenge this year?
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 16:38:07 »
You have a son in Emmen?  They have a fantastic zoo there (seriously, one of the best in Europe). 

Plus one of the neighbouring towns has a really cute Kabouterland (Dwarf Land).  They even have warning signs on the street 'warning, dwarf crossing' type things.  Very cute.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 17:48:43 »
If I tell you that the weather in the Netherlands is just secondhand weather from the UK, can I be in your okra challenge?

I'm not in any 'deep south' hot and humid weather zone, so no unfair headstart. In fact I am at a disadvantage as I also don't own a greenhouse and have to grow them outside.

And I will pay my own travel expenses to cleo's if I do have a decent crop.
Please??

My rules are very strict,non UK residents would have to be vetted.But in this case -of course you can ;D

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 12:16:38 »
Thank you so very much  :-*

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 13:00:10 »
Oh, Oh can I join in too...................mind you I HATE okra, but love a challenge and deffo up for a free meal at Cleo's! ;D ;)  (will be bringing the okra as no one else here will eat it! ;) ;D)
Will grap some seeds out of the next swap.

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 22:06:07 »
I've grown Clemson and Burgundy okra successfully in Delaware.  It likes HEAT, not cold soil. Maybe putting down black plastic around it would help those in colder areas but seed will probably rot in cold damp soil. It also likes moisture but well-drained. The Clemson had more pods than the Burgundy but I planted the Burgundy in with other flowers because it is beautiful  (except when the Japanese beetles get after the leaves.

When it starts bearing, cut off the pods- don't let them get larger than about 3 inches or they usually get woody.
Just throw them in a zzip-lock bag and into the freezer. They'll keep to add to stews and soups as a thickener. Very handy.  some folks here like to batter dip and fry them but we didn't need that extra fat.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 15:15:13 »
Brilliant ;D,reverse Psychology;

mind you I HATE okra

Welcome to the challenge Doris

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 16:41:09 »
Since I'm not allowed to join I have a suggestion for those growing them outside,
plant them in a black plastic bag of soil. Should warm up much faster.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 17:36:03 »
Hey Grannie , stick around, maybe you can be our overseas cheerleader, we need all the help we can get and your vali=uable information will give us all confidence.

I used to be able to grow them in Canada, I had an odd job man that gave me plants so I didn't have to grow from seed, but here it seems a devil of a challenge.

Do you know much about the different varieties, I have bought several this year in  order to really have a go.

I have.

Star of David
Annie Oakley
Red Burgundy
Lee
Bowling Red
Louisanna Long Green
Emerald Velvet
Pure Luck
Cajun Delight

Any ideas which ones would stand the better chance,I seem to be leaning toward Cajun delight!!

Thank you for your lovely help so far.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ren1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 12:04:24 »
Can we play?  Have some okra seeds that we are hoping to grow this year - although from reading the posts might be a bit cold here?

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 15:39:56 »
I'd like to give it a go being at the coast - maybe I will have better luck with us supposingly being warmer.  I however do not have any seeds and am not in the latest seed swap.

Has anyone got any seed for me to try?  Not fussy about the variety.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 18:32:26 »
hi can i join in, i will have to try and get some seeds but i would like to play

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 18:41:59 »
You are welcome to join folks but all my spare seeds have gone or are in the 2008 pass the parcel ,but they are available almost anywhere.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 17:32:02 »
Just looked in the greenhouse and my Bowling Red Okra from the wonderful Jeannie gave germinated!!
I remember sending lots of people some Mammoth Okra, how did you get on with it??

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 17:52:50 »
Evening Biscombe
The mammoth you gave me made a massive 9 inches which given our summer was as much as I could expect.
Now ,this year will be a different story I still have some of your seed left  and will be sowing v, soon.
I know Cleo is worried (nnnnot)

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 19:49:14 »
Having received some seed from the lovely Jeannine I soaked and sowed some in a heated propogator over two weeks ago and still no show. I sowed some more on Monday of this week without soaking, laid on the top of compost and covered with vermiculite and some have germinated in the propogator in two and three days!!! I will keep on experimenting.
Whether this is a fluke and whether they survive or not is another matter but I was advised years ago to always start sweetcorn this way.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2008, 20:01:36 »
 Morton, I would advise you against soaking your sweetcorn seed, it was Ok years ago when there were very few types but with todays types many of them do not take the soaking well and they rot very quickly.

I know some  folks still do it  and they swear by it,but they are taking a chance with some varieties. The seeds will germinate very well without soaking and no danger of rotting unlkess you keep them too wet.

I personally don't soak the Okra either but I cannot stick my neck out on this one as I am not as familiar with it as corn.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 20:03:44 by Jeannine »

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 20:07:31 »
OK Jeannine I will forget about soaking now. Thanks for the information.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 20:13:45 »
Can I join in the okra competition please? 

Two weeks ago I put 5 okra seeds on wet kitchen roll in a small bowl and placed them in a propagator in the airing cupboard.  They all started to split so I then transferred the seeds into 1inch peat pots and put them in a propagator on a windowsill.  4 of them have just started to unroll but 1 is about ½ inch high but the leaf looks a bit damaged. 

Last year mine all died when they were about 2 inches high but I had sowed them in a pot and pricked them out.  This year I will be able to put the peat pot directly into another pot without, I hope, too much damage to the roots. 

I might try sowing some direct into the 1 inch peat pots and see how long they take to germinate that way.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2008, 20:24:16 »
Of course you can, and well done. I guess I should do mine this week too.XX Jeannine

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2008, 11:14:02 »
I sowed okra on Monday and they have germinated!!
Have I won?
mind you that is probably as good as it gets.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal