Author Topic: Anyone up for the Okra challenge this year?  (Read 67644 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Anyone up for the Okra challenge this year?
« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:14 »

Yeah its called curry goat, but mutton is sheep, and we only use goat for that dish usually the animal is about a year old. I'm looking for a recipe for you as I've been a vegan for the last 11 years and not sure I can reproduce from memory accurately in type, but put all the ingredients in front me and I'll cook it fine from rote ;)

They've obviously compromised with what's available in the UK. The stuff's sometimes called 'goat mutton', and I think it's from the older animals. It has a lot more taste than lamb, but my sister used to keep goats, and I do prefer it.

yes it is a lovely dish, its a dish that is greatly used at celebration gathering like weddings, christenings, etc. most people would then get a young kid of about 6mths - 9mnths water and feed it in and around their garden/ yard till its about a year old then the day before the event it is slaughtered, butchered and seasoned to marinate for the cooking the next day. i remember it was My sister and my responsibility to take a goat we once kept for an aunt's wedding to the nearest overgrown empty plot before school and collect it before dark in the evening.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2008, 14:14:33 »
Unfortunately if you add up the seed pack the 4 growbags and the fertiliser and all the electricity for the propagators I reckon the price was nearer to truffles!!!!

But well done ;D

It`s like the film `They shoot horses`-always a twist. You did not bring them to be cooked so I cannot award the ultimate prize-but well done anyway.

The cleo challenge is now finished for okra.

Yard long beans anyone?

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2008, 16:27:32 »
Unfortunately if you add up the seed pack the 4 growbags and the fertiliser and all the electricity for the propagators I reckon the price was nearer to truffles!!!!

But well done ;D

It`s like the film `They shoot horses`-always a twist. You did not bring them to be cooked so I cannot award the ultimate prize-but well done anyway.

The cleo challenge is now finished for okra.

Yard long beans anyone?

yep I'm up for the yard long beans challenge. had lovely healthy plants at the beginning of the season, i planted them out at the beginning of June and bam!! the weather changed to really cold nights and somewhat coolish days for about 2 weeks on a trot, they suffered and died about 3 weeks after :'(. but like a moth to the flame i will try again next year for sure :D.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2008, 17:50:13 »
OK the rules are;

1-Open to UK based folk only( sorry but that`s the way it is)

2-A `decent` crop means at least 8 good fruit per plant.

3- the winner/winners to divulge their secrets for the benefit of mere mortals

The dubious prize?-I`ll cook them for you here. There is no pool,no accommodation and you have to put up with my tantrums when I`m cooking-but imagine your pride when the photos get posted ;D

Well, we're not going to win any prizes!

One plant survived, and has one fruit on it.  Looks a nice one, mind.  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2008, 20:05:57 »
'ang on a minute there Cleo my darling, my Okra is still good.. I was waiting a while to get a picture of the best one.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2008, 22:19:15 »
'ang on a minute there Cleo my darling, my Okra is still good.. I was waiting a while to get a picture of the best one.XX Jeannine
mine is still good as well

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2008, 00:45:04 »
And most of my plants met all the published criteria to win the competition months ago. The plants having had a rest are now coming back to production on side shoots although as nighttime temperatures start to drop I believe their days are numbered.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2008, 09:51:58 »
All mine are in the great Okra heaven in the sky............ :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2008, 10:24:50 »
do you (anyone) know if okra are annual or perenial?
lbb

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2009, 00:45:45 »
Is anybody growing them this year, I weeded mine today and they are starting to produce flowers.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #230 on: August 19, 2009, 01:18:38 »
Is anybody growing them this year, I weeded mine today and they are starting to produce flowers.

don't you tell me you are growing them successfully outside :o.

saddad has been successfull with them in his greenhouse. scroll down and you'll see i wasn't at all gracious with my response to his success ;) http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,54306.0.html

they are the bane of my life, i sowed 7 got 7 transplanted 7 and 6 died the lone survivor growing tip went blind and has given me one tiny ochro the size of my pinky finger all without the flower bud even opening. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wNGXTrtW5rc/Slt1vu-mGcI/AAAAAAAABcU/Y_pCAXeugyc/s1600-h/IMG_4455.JPG

about 10 days ago the plant has started to bushy out and is full of flower buds, so its a wait and see what happens.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal