Author Topic: Cats!!!  (Read 4214 times)

rdak

Re:Cats!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004, 10:34:44 »
re: leaving jars or bottles around- have not tried this because it would look pretty untidy, but have heard various theories as to why it might work- some say due to reflection, some say it's to do with magnetic fields, others say that cats instinctively don't mess near potential sources of drinking water.

Sulis

• Not So New ...
  • 'Things won are done, joy's soul lies in the doing
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2004, 13:38:04 »
I've also tried Coleus Canina, with limited success. We have two cats and they do use the garden as a toilet. Mind you, i've been redesigning the whole area so there has been a large expanse of bare soil over the winter. Trouble is, there are three other cats in the neighbourhood and I know that one in particular uses our garden as a kitty-bathroom. Evil, ugly thing it is too. Our cats are too scared of it though, having been rescued from particularly appalling conditions three years ago. They're getting better, but timid still around other animals.

There is only one solution that I know of, and it's certainly not practical! A good friend of mine used to keep a Bengal Eagle Owl in the garden. She had an enormous aviary overlooking the rear entrance... the only true way in. No matter how cocky the cat was, one snap of the beak and a hiss and flapping of wings scared the cats away for good!

I'm going to try to use sharp edged pebbles/stones as a cover in parts of my garden this year. I read somewhere that cats don't like the feel of the sharp stones under their feet. Pea gravel didn't work for me, but bark chippings were surprisingly good.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2004, 21:58:37 »
oooooo yeah, can vouch for the sharp gravel.  We had a load put down the side of our house and some folks said that the cats would fill it with poop, but they don't, not ever.  It is sharp though, I can't walk on it bare foot.

minerva

• Quarter Acre
    • Antiquities
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2004, 13:31:41 »
 ;)Well Ina, minnie is such a good girl down the lotty and stays off everyones plots, she does do her buisness down there but being a good owner i have these doggie bags attached to the lead that i have to pick it up with, i hate doing it i even use nappie sacks as they have a strong smell, but it is a totally crappy part of dog ownership that just has to be done. (can't say cat owners ever do this!)  

She does however absolutly hate cats and goes completly ballistic whenever she sees one she has even chased one strait into someones cat flap acommpanied with high pitched howling its actually a bit of a problem and we have to watch her when shes off the lead near houses, or we will end up in big trouble.

she also hates squirrels, as does my dad, he has bought an air rifle which he shoots at a big bit of tin evertime he sees cats or squirrels in his garden, seems to work? good job hes got no neibours, can't see the powers that be going for that down the lotty, the might thing the locals have finally turned on the tourists?
sam

shifty581

• Quarter Acre
  • Old digger
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 20:31:33 »
I hade a problem with my next door nighbours 5 cats, this was at home in my back garden.
They kept digging up my small plants.
I stopped them with electric fencing, I zigzagged the wire across my garden, so the wire was just off the ground, so as they stooped to do their poops.-----. :o They don’t come in my garden any more.
The electric fencing I am on about is the sort farmers use to keep there stock in fields.
I assure you no cats were harmed with this method.
Tony Shoo (shifty)

lavatera

• I love Allotments4All
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2004, 06:47:55 »
Jug of water with sugar in it.....if you can get close enough, when the water dries off their fur the sugar goes hard, they WILL NOT be back yo defocate your site then, I am an animal lover , but when it comes to pulling itty bitty poo from between the seedlings , GOD it makes me angry!!!!! I feel a lot better now........ :'(

Rob :'(

« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 06:48:37 by lavatera »

littleweed

• Not So New ...
Re: Cats!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 08:39:25 »
Creosoted the back fence at the weekend and next doors cats were walking along the top before it had barely dried!
Time grows for all who know how to use it

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 09:14:13 »
ok how to get rid of cat

get a big dog - when said cat appears let out dog

cat runs away like mad

if you want to do a good job sugests greyhound cat will be to knackered to come back  ;D

mitzzy

• Quarter Acre
  • Organic goddess
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 10:10:11 »
i own 2 dogs and a cat , never had any problems with the cat she goes next to rail track and does what shehas to do ,so to speak . I think most of the cat around our area do they same .Never heard any comments about the cats in the area ( we have about 5 in area )

I did lose a cat we had to Creosote and possiblely another ( only found 1 cat ) both disappeared / died within a month of each other .

so far no cat activity at my plot but i am sure they must be about as it is a great place for hunting mice etc .

Our dogs likes cats
Mags
new allotment owner excuse my ignorance !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal