Author Topic: Power tools are dangerous!  (Read 1593 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Power tools are dangerous!
« on: July 06, 2004, 23:55:28 »
Forgot to post this, but listen closely all you peeps who like to wield power tools.  On Sunday Ava was up the ladder trimming next doors conifer  >:(.  He was balanced precariously atop the ladder and asked me to pass him the electric hedge cutters.  As I picked them up I grabbed the trigger and vroom, they whizzed into life, and cut clean through the cable!  :o  Thankfully they were plugged into a power breaker so the fuse blew and I was unharmed but imagine if they hadn't been.  So beware gardeners and DIY enthusiasts everywhere!  If you are using somthing that whizzes and whirls thanks to electricity, plug it in with a power breaker and be careful!

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re:Power tools are dangerous!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:45:37 »
Hi EJ - Wow you were lucky! Thank heavens for power breakers.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:22:59 »
Thanks for the advice EJ. No leccy here in my power tools. All petrol, MWhahahahahah ;D

All joking aside just as dangerous.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:41:24 »
A wise old saying... Electricity is a good master but a bad friend. :o
We could start a new thread on these...A little bit of what you fancy does you good... :P If at first you don't suceed suck summat else... :-X ok i'm back in the padded room. ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 11:20:30 »
You don't need power to damage yourself - TWICE, at the end of a tiring period of digging, I've slammed the fork into the ground & tried to walk away.
Difficult,with the prongs though your foot!! We will never learn. = Tim

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 11:49:46 »
Glad to hear that you are OK EJ
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 12:16:14 »
Could have been nasty EJ, glad "all's well that ends well".  Power tools terrify me.  Mike (my hub) has lots that are really scary.  For Father's day our children bought him a circular saw that looks like something out of a horror film.  Good advice to be ultra cautious with them.  

Gardening generally has got its hazards, as we have discussed before.  I am very clumsy and always falling over things at our Plot.  So take care all of you - wouldn't want to lose anybody!   :) busy_lizzie  
live your days not count your years

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 20:13:56 »
You're so right EJ and, like most things, you never think it will happen to you until it does! I was cutting my mother's hedge last summer when I cut through the cable. I felt really foolish but I was lucky that's all I was feeling as I wasn't using a power breaker. Needless to say - I always do now!

All best, Iain

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 09:29:06 »
Friend of mine who uses hedge trimmers daily, (he is a professional gardener) managed to trim his hand :o Ended up having to have it sewn back together in hospital and a few months out of work! So you were very lucky EJ.
 I hate it when Mr Pinks does the hedges and often leave rather than see him cut off any of his extremities!
Dad once flymowed his cable, made a rather large bang! Rather loud swearing emitted from Dad!
And Tim I too have pushed a fork through my boot,how I missed my toes I shall never know! Next pair was thinking of buying them with steel toe caps!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal