Author Topic: WIlkinson  (Read 2870 times)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
WIlkinson
« on: January 16, 2008, 13:43:56 »
Our local wilko in Winton have there onion, shallot sets and seed pots in plus loads of dahlias ect !!
500g onion sets 1.00 and shallots, potatoes 2.80 3kg limited varietys, they also had fruit bushes in and garlic  :D

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: WIlkinson
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 15:56:58 »
Hello  flowerofshona2007,

a bit off topic, but I used to live in Moordown. I loved the shops in Winton, but Wilkinsons was still Sainsburys then. I will get to our local wilkos to see what they have.

cj :)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
Re: WIlkinson Seed Offer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 16:02:59 »
Wilkinson in Louth (Lincolnshire) have a seed offer, their own brand and Johnstons, 3 packets of any seed for the price of 2.

Apparently you pay for the two most expensive and the cheapest of the three is free.

Last year they offered 2 packets for price of 1, but this was later in the year like March (I think)
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 19:15:07 »
Hi Guys,

Just been to wilkinsons with a friend and as i am now no longer going to be able to make the potato days i managed to get

1 x    Rooster Seed Potato (late maincrop) £1.90
1 x 3kg King Edwards Seed Potato  (early maincrop) £3

This is joined by my earlies Vales Emerald from DB Brown should give me a good crop of spuds though the year :)

Also picked up some shallot sets (golden) for £1 did not really need them but i am going to plant them around my carrot bed as a companion as there is such a shortage of onions this year so i get an extra crop for free (ok £1 but you know what i mean).

I had a green gooseberry and fancyed a red one and wilkinsons had one for £3 fo i picked one up.

And for £1 a blackcurrant bush which i cant remember if i had one or not :) but it had such a lot of yummy growth and for £1 i cant grumble.

Cambourne7

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 18:53:01 »
Roosters - ooo, thats interesting, think I'll have to have a visit. 

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 22:51:47 »
Bought some Roosters in the supermarket to eat - they make great mash!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 18:09:26 »
Box  plants £4.99 for 6 good sized plants.

David Austin roses for £5.99,

it looks like they are going to sell tomato and pepper plants /kits

the Lincoln branch is bursting with every plant,seed,bulb etc you can think of ... heaven ;D .
grow your own way

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 17:05:13 »
been today and bought rooster spuds,not got many left,  3 for 2 seeds, got my onion and spring onions, with some beetroot seeds so got the lowest free
they've still got blackcurrant and red currants in, also figs and olives
also still got some 3kilo bags of spuds and red and white onions but not many  :)

Just Vegging Out

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 00:48:20 »
Angel Shades,
One year I bought 6 rose bushes out of Poundland, they are unamed and just had the colour written on them - when they bloomed they were all like David Austin type - the big bourburn roses.  The next year I bought another 6 - these ones turned out all hybrid teas - like blue moon - for a quid each they are well worth taking a chance with.

leiden64

• Not So New ...
Re: WIlkinson - be cautious about their cheap sets
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 09:16:12 »
just be a little cautious about Wilkinsons onion sets and garlic. Got some last year (like usual) and several weeks later when I came to plant them I thought a couple looked a bit iffy. Planted the rest of them anyway. Found out later in the year that they'd got onion white rot. Now it could be that my allotment already had this and it only developed this year cos of the strange summer we had, but I think it was more likely to be the onion sets that introduced it. Anyway, outcome is that I'm unlikely to be able to grow onions (or at least sets) on my plot for the next 6 or 7 years as it takes this long for the spores to die...

I guess this is just a cautionary note about going for the cheapest option. I suspect that the more mainstream catalogues and garden centres have more rigorous checks for diseased seeds/sets coming in - or at least a feedback system to ensure it doesn't happen again - and sometimes its worth paying a little more for this. Similar caution should be exercised about their potatoes, judging by the summer we had last year I should think any that haven't been certified disease free will probably be infected by blight. (Not that this makes  much difference on our plot - ours get blight every year!)

N.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal