Author Topic: what to do now with living xmas tree  (Read 1951 times)

sarah

• Hectare
what to do now with living xmas tree
« on: January 06, 2008, 16:31:08 »
we bought a living xmas tree this year; its quite littlle and in a pot. Whats the best thing to do? just pop it in the garden in the pot somewhere or am i supposed to plant it and then did it up next year.  i woud like to keep it living.  :P do i need to harden it off after being in my lounge for these few weeks. i dont have central heating mind.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Re: what to do now with living xmas tree
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 18:42:05 »
We have always kept our trees in their pots throughout the year, keeping them well watered. Most of them seem to last about 4 -5 years before getting too straggly.

David P

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 23:53:43 »
Not sure what the best thing to do is but i'll keep my eyes and ears open because i've got the same problem.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:53:33 »
i have been advised to pop it outside in pot in a sheltered place untill it settles and then keep it watered and it should be fine.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:15:15 »
We have 2 rescue christmas trees in our garden. One my dad brought here from the tip and the other was rolling around the high street one year after christmas, I should think one has been in 6 years and the other about 4 years. Initially tho they just sat there, didn't grow at all, but the last couple of years have grown nicely. (we use the artificial tree indoors lol)
We just dug a hole a in they went, take your chance type effort!
Just been out and taken a pic 4u, doing well!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 13:27:51 »
that looks like a very healthy specimen.  i have been thinking about rescueing battery chickens and abandoned puppies but it would never have occured to me to rescue a christmas tree. :D what a lovely thing to do. a tree is for life not just for christmas. :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 17:53:59 »
A Christmas tree is definitely not for life in a small garden! They'll grow massive given time.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 22:56:48 »
The baby that norfolklass so kindly sent me is in a bucket of compost in the greenhouse for now. When all this wet & windy weather is over I'll find it a proper home.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal