Author Topic: Another climbing squash question  (Read 1389 times)

alipally

• Quarter Acre
Another climbing squash question
« on: January 14, 2008, 00:21:59 »
There are a lot of old tyres on our allotment site so my question is a bit of an up-side-down one.  If I stack the tyres about 6 high and fill with compost could I plant winter squash in the top and train them round the tyres as they start to hang down?  I seems like a possible answer to the amount of space they took up last year but I am not sure if it would work, any ideas please.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Another climbing squash question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:03:07 »
Why not plant them in the ground and run them up a trellis or suchlike. They need the space they take.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:15:06 »
I can't see why this wouldn't work. I saw a "squash theatre" last year which was the same principle but using four pallets in a square.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:32:11 »
I'm not saying it wont work just that it is a waste of time and effort. A plant at the bottom growing up takes the same space as a plant at the top growing down. To get the plant at the top you have to build a structure and fill it with a good growing medium. To get the plant at the bottom all you do is dig a hole and plant it.

alipally

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 19:23:07 »
Yes I see your point Eristic, but I am trying to use materials already to hand, rather than beg, borrow or buy wood etc, for the squash to grow up.  Maybe you know an easy, cheap way of building a frame for them to climb up?  I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 20:00:35 »
Just relive the nearest skip of a bit of wood. The tyres have to be packed with a lot of soil or compost which will settle and shrink and may pull the plants out of the ground. The column will also dry out fast.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 20:43:20 »
My two penneth. I think filling the tyre stack with the right soil might prove more expensive than getting the wood.

Think about this one.

Can you make a  strong wire fence to take the foliage..not the weight of the fruit, just the foliage, something like  a bean fence or a wigwam, then when the fruit start to grow instead of slinging them in tights etc you can build them little platforms,about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Imagine a strong  flat bird table on a pedestal, the fruit can be placed on when quite small and even the heavy ones will not be a problem. As they grow they are protected from the slugs and take up much less room.It can work very well with the heavier varieties of squash. The lighter weight ones will be ok fastened to the wire with the tights.The squash grow clean and safe and most of the weight is on the pedestal not the fence.

Re tyres, it is a personal thing, but I am always a bit nervous about veggies growing in rubber.

It is just a couple of thoughts.

Have fun with your squash.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 12:26:05 »
Hi - I grew climing courgettes in my polytunnel last year.  I trained them up binder twine which I just lopped them over every so often.

They went up to about 5 feet - then I allowed them to drape themselves downward and they did this happily - they reached the floor and then moved accross the floor for a few more feet!!!

I am with the others though and would possibly use only one tyre height - which will be handy when you first plant them as you can protect them with a bit of glass over the tyre to keep them warm and dry and then construct a climbing frame - two posts with crosspieces or string accross should be good enough for when the weather is warmer and they are taking off!

Good luck with it!

Old Bird
 ;D

alipally

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 14:59:18 »
Many thanks everyone, that has certainly given me plenty to think about.  I can't wait for the spring!
Alison

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 19:51:50 »
Potatoes would work in the tyres. Just start with a couple, then add tyres when the potatoes want "earthing up" Perhaps you could use tyres for blanching leeks.

I'm a bit wary of tyres-  chemical wise though.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal