Author Topic: Bulk Supplies of Compost/Peat  (Read 911 times)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Bulk Supplies of Compost/Peat
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:28 »
Just to kickstart a smallish growing area on my allotment - would anyone know where I can buy a bulk quantity of compost (as opposed to manure) and peat? 

I would not normally use peat but am wanting to get a small part of the allotment growing whilst I take the rest of the year to clear the rest and get it set up in the more traditional way (which can then include manure as it has time to break down).

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Bulk Supplies of Compost/Peat
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:50:23 »
What about ringing up your recycling centre.  Mostly Councils do the giant recycling of the green stuff that arrives in the recycling centre.

I don't know whether they sell it in bulk - our council last year gave 2 days where they let you go and collect it for free!!  I got out very early that day and most of the stuff was gone by lunch time though!

Certainly a good place to start and should be fairly local to you!

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Old Bird ;D

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:52:22 »
What about ringing up your recycling centre.  Mostly Councils do the giant recycling of the green stuff that arrives in the recycling centre.

I don't know whether they sell it in bulk - our council last year gave 2 days where they let you go and collect it for free!!  I got out very early that day and most of the stuff was gone by lunch time though!

Certainly a good place to start and should be fairly local to you!

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Old Bird ;D

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will give them a call when I am onsite.

I will have access to a car for the first month or two after I get to London so will make the most of this to get the bulky items moved - wood slats for the raised beds, garden tools and the compost/peat to get the first beds going.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:07:32 »
Your best bet would be horse manure. This can be used fresh if need be and is readily available and the right price.

Picture shows garlic and broad beans top dressed with manure that was fresh from the stables the last week of November, stored for 6 weeks due to bad weather.

As for using peat: In London this is not a resource, this is asset stripping. For bulk materials although deals can always be done, you should get used to thinking £40 per ton for any material of nominal value.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal