Author Topic: Greenhouse Lighting  (Read 3453 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
Greenhouse Lighting
« on: January 13, 2008, 17:14:53 »
Hiya folks, does anyone out there have any advice on getting started with lighting, and how you've found using it??  ;D
Thas a rummun !!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
Re: Greenhouse Lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 17:31:24 »
Hi Tom, i've just rigged up electric for a fan heater, so i do have electric, although if it needs a plug, i'll have to get a double splashproof socket. Andy
Thas a rummun !!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 17:45:22 »
Hi Tom, i'm sure i could get a "sparky" to rig a strip light up, it's a standard 6x8 greenhouse, and i'm under  6' tall, so it sounds like a good idea to me. The apex of the roof will probably need a couple of holes drilled to hang the chains, but apart from that, i think it should be fairly straightforward.  Andy
Thas a rummun !!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 17:59:42 »
This is my set up;

You can't see it in this picture but I have a three foot strip light rigged up under the top shelf which shines on to my hot bed

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 18:59:46 »
Dont Put In In The Apex Bar On The Top It Will Weaken The Greenhouse And Rain Will Get In.

When You Call Or Email Or Ask A "Sparky"Ask Them  To See If They Can Add These Little Pegs That Will Clip On To Hold It Up

Hope This Helps.

Good Look
Take A Piccy And post It Here Once You Have Done It
Hi Tom, i will get it done, and when i do, i'll post a pic.
Cheers for the advice.

Andy
Thas a rummun !!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 19:02:13 »
This is my set up;

You can't see it in this picture but I have a three foot strip light rigged up under the top shelf which shines on to my hot bed

Tee Gee, a couple of questions for you, if i may, firstly, does the tube emit much in the way of heat, and where did you get the staging from? It looks the business, from what i can see.

Thas a rummun !!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:19:09 »
Hi,

I have found a more recent picture of my greenhouse which shows my lighting system;

Now to answer your questions;

does the tube emit much in the way of heat,

Not as you would notice but I suppose if I touched it I would find it quite hot.

where did you get the staging from?

The bottom staging I bought with the greenhouse the upper lot I made myself using the sides of my grandchildren's cot.

I only use this greenhouse for propagation purposes meaning that after May /June it is virtually empty unless I choose to grow something that requires quite a lot of heat, last year I grew a few different types of 'potted' chillis.

I made a bit of a start this morning i.e. I switched on the hot bed & propagator which is about a month to six weeks sooner than last year.

The reason I was later last year is I went off on holiday for a week in February so decided to catch up on my return and I did !!

So this goes to prove that even later sowings have a way of catching up.

I did think of doing the same this year but I have decided to return to growing my onions from seed so an earlier start is essential.

I also made myself 75 litres of seed compost this morning which should be enough for the whole of this season.

It was a lovely bit of stuff :P it trickled through my fingers like sugar.

Will sow a few seeds tomorrow.

By the way here are some details of my set up; http://tinyurl.com/3ca7gw

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 18:55:22 »
Hello Tee Gee, thanks for the info, I set some Kelsae onion seed last weekend in a John Innes and Vermiculite 80/20 mix, and currently have the green house running at about 60 Fahrenheit, is that too warm/cold for the seed, i also have some Bristol onion seed that I'm yet to plant, which i got from Moles Seeds, was it yourself that recommended Moles ? I can't remember, i wondered if it's still a bit early for the seed?

Andy :)
Thas a rummun !!

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 20:00:41 »
Are the higher luminous tubes any better than the normal (cheaper) ones ?

I guess that having the tube a few inches from the plants gives more light to where its wanted, rather than just dimly illuminating the whole of the GH.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 15:23:33 »
Are the higher luminous tubes any better than the normal (cheaper) ones ?

I use the 'daylight' variety. I don't know if they are cheap or not it is so long since I bought any!

I guess that having the tube a few inches from the plants gives more light to where its wanted, rather than just dimly illuminating the whole of the GH.

I find a maximum of 12" above the plants is best.

I set some Kelsae onion seed last weekend in a John Innes and Vermiculite 80/20 mix,

I think your compost is a bit rich! I never use a seed compost that is high in fertiliser.

I always think that it has the potential to damage the fine root system (and this applies to all plants I grow)

I just use riddled multipurpose compost thinned down with silver sand.

currently have the green house running at about 60 Fahrenheit, is that too warm/cold for the seed,

Do you mean the 'greenhouse' or a propagator in the greenhouse?

Personally I think your temperature is a bit low I prefer to set my propagator for around 70-75°F (21-24°C).

I just keep my greenhouse just above freezing for now.

Will up it to around 50°F (10°C) when I get a few seedlings pricked out.

If you don't have a propagator and you are in fact heating the whole greenhouse just for a tray of onions I would be tempted to put them on the central heating boiler until they germinate, then prick them out and grow them on at around 50°F.

was it yourself that recommended Moles ?

Can't recall but I do know they are a good company and I think their catalogue is the best on the market for advice on what to do with your seed once you get them.

i wondered if it's still a bit early for the seed?

I don't think so!

In fact I made a start this morning when I sowed; 40 Mammoth Improved and 40 Brunton Showstopper onions plus 50 Shallot Prisma.

I also sowed my Sweet peas, Crocosmia and Alliums.

See here;http://tinyurl.com/2ckxv2 and here; http://tinyurl.com/2fey3w

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 16:42:41 »
On the subject of light bulbs...   As a keeper of a heavily planted aquarium, I have spent a lot of time investigating light bulbs for planted tanks.  There are bulbs designed for planted aquaria, and some designed for coral growth, and they do have varying colour spectrums.  There is much debate as to the need for such bulbs.  They do tend to cost more, and some people dont think the benefit is worth the extra cost.  As with all things expensive the experts swear by them!

Im not sure this is entirely relevant to seed growth, but it strikes me as being interesting if nothing else!  Do you think an aquarium bulb designed for plant growth would be a good idea?

One point that seems to be universally agreed upon, is that after around 9 months the bulbs needs replacing (if being used to shine light through water and encourage tropical plants to grow).  Apparantly the number of lumens being emmitted deteriorates drastically over time.

Perhaps for growing on seeds it isnt much of a problem?  I know it certainly seems very wasteful to replace a bulb that still works, but whilst I am taking the effort to pump CO2 into the water in my tank and add regular plant nutrients, I tend to follow the advice I read!

http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 17:33:49 »
My thoughts on light intensity is this; plants will grow on a dull days, but very slowly, suggesting to me that any increase in light intensity must be an advantage choose how strong or special the bulb is.

There is another thing and that is; plants are affected by day length rather than intensity of light (although this helps) so what I do is time my lighting so that it comes on two hours before sunrise and goes off two hours after sunset.

But then again the exhibition onion/leek growers grow in silver foil lined cabinets and their lights are on 24/7

So to me it is more a matter of choice rather than a necessity.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 17:48:15 »
Personally I think your temperature is a bit low I prefer to set my propagator for around 70-75°F (21-24°C).

I just keep my greenhouse just above freezing for now.

Hi Tee Gee, i'm heating the whole greenhouse, for 2 reasons, 1st, i don't have a propagator, and 2nd, i have about a dozen trays of various seedlings, and at least 4 dozen pots with assorted bulbs in, so i'm getting a bit full at the min. Also with regard to the rich compost, in my naievity, i thought that i should get seed compost  for seeds, it never occured to me to consider how rich the compost was, so cheers for the tip.  ;)
Thas a rummun !!

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 22:28:34 »
andy,

a company called cpc do a solar powerd light kit i think a 1 lamp kit will set you back £50.00 & a 2 light kit £80.00 + vat & you will need to purchase a car battery to store the power.
heres the link below

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1002301&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=solar+kit&Ntx=

im lucky i managed to pick up a wind turbine from a farm sale well good too
today i will be growin veg!!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 13:54:26 »
i thought that i should get seed compost  for seeds,

If it is Ji seed compost then that should be OK.

My apologies, when people speak of JI  I automatically think of 'potting compost e.g. Ji 1,Ji 2,Ji 3 etc which stands for 1x/2x/3x fertiliser hence my comment on rich compost.

Perhaps they should name their seed compost Ji 0 i.e. no fertiliser.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 15:18:50 »
I know I'm going to display my embarrassing ignorance here, but what harm does it do to germinate seeds on a base of potting compost? I couldn't find seed compost this year, and didn't really know the difference...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 15:52:48 »
I think the main difference is the level of nutrients in the compost - with the sowing stuff having less.  I know the seedling takes all the energy for the first two leaves from the seed itself, so perhaps with too much fertilizer it will 'burn' the baby plant?

I have in the past made the opposite mistake of repotting an established plant into sowing compost.  Like you I didnt really see what the difference was - that is of course until I saw how unhappy the plant became!
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 15:59:38 »
but what harm does it do to germinate seeds on a base of potting compost?

It might do no harm, but the potential is there to burn the root system as I mentioned above.

Plus seeds do not require fertiliser simply because there are no roots to use it.

True some feeding will be required to sustain the growth after germination up to pricking out time, but invariably there is too much in potting compost.

This is why I use thinned down multi-purpose, I find there is enough fertiliser in this mix.

I also think that if there is too much fertilser available at this stage the seedlings romp off and are more susceptible to damping off because they are too lush.

I was always taught let the root system find its food & water as this makes for a better root system and consequently a better plant.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 20:19:53 »
Evening Tee Gee, many thanks for your words of wisdom,ref compost, i more than most people, could do with and appreciate, any advice given, because we're all here to do the best for our gardens,and allotments. Much obliged to you.

Andy  :)
Thas a rummun !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal