Author Topic: Cucumbers  (Read 7583 times)

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 08:32:14 »
Just wanted to put a good word in for Burpless. We have grown them outside for the last three years and have always had a good crop.
Mind you, they have grown into some interesting shapes. I don't think they would many prizes on the show bench, not unless there was a special prize for curliest cucumber...

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 08:34:39 »
Er, that should of course be "would not win many prizes..."

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 21:28:56 »
Just been checking the Carmen seeds at £7.99 for 5 they must be good.  Is it possible to save seed from them for subsequent years? dont think my budget can stretch to them unless i can convince myself we can save the seeds for future sowings!

Just been emailed back reference the Carmen seeds. Only £4.50 for 5 seeds as opposed to everyone elses £7.99 for 5. Includes free P+P. Only 5 miles from my house.

http://www.exhibition-seeds.co.uk/index.htm
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 13:31:22 »
If anyone could let me have one or two Carmen seeds, I have Zeina, Konsa, Bieta Alpha, and or Sweet Crunch I would gladly swap.

Tricia

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 15:53:06 »
If you want to grow Cukes for your GP's try this lady on EBay. I have bought from her before. Quick and reliable.

200 Marketmore seeds = £1.49 + £0.75 p+p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marketmore-Cucumber-200-Seeds-Allotment-Vegetables_W0QQitemZ140198748354QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1512QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 22:18:05 »
Last year I tried an F1 hybrid for the first time. It was the best crop, maybe double other years and one of the vines I just planted at the base of fencing protecting a sml cherry tree from deer. That vine produced so well even nibbled by deer and never watered. So I'm about convinced that the F1 seed is worth the money, especially since one packet will last me a couple years if stored well.
However it was a really good growing season last year so I'll hold final judgement til this Fall.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 17:22:01 »
Has everyone received their cucumber seeds Carmen from Thompson and Morgan? Mine still haven't arrived. Or am I just too eager?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 17:24:50 »
Thompson and Morgan are notorious for long delays in posting
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2008, 17:27:03 »
Thanks Jeannine. I will try to be patient.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 22:45:40 »
I had mine quite quickly (sorry, Tricia, given them all away but one!)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 17:50:04 »
I have just got a greenhouse this year and am going to be growing 4 different types of cucumbers which is the best way to do it.  Someone said to tie string from teh top of the greenhouse and do it that way , or to put a trellis in and they climb up, please help.
thank you
Linda

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 03:12:40 »
I emailed exhibition seeds as I have not received the Carmen seeds as yet. They said they were sent but will put more in the post. Hopefully arrive over this next week.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2008, 05:37:23 »
One of my seedlings has three leaves on now but the second one has keeled over and died. Getting them to germinate seems the easy bit. Its growing them on to a sturdy plant I have trouble with
Chris

www.citychickens.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2008, 07:16:43 »
I have just got a greenhouse this year and am going to be growing 4 different types of cucumbers which is the best way to do it.  Someone said to tie string from teh top of the greenhouse and do it that way , or to put a trellis in and they climb up, please help.
thank you
Linda
hiya, casey..we do the string method, tie it to a peg next to the cuc, wind the plant round it as it grows, being very careful not to pull the plant up, I speak from experience  ;D
we did do a trellis once, just too much like a mess  :)

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 08:58:48 »
Have you tried growing them horizontally manics about 18 inches above the ground. Just train the plants along horizontal sticks. Its a lot tidier and the cucumbers hang down from the horizontal sticks to the ground.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2008, 09:06:58 »
I tried to grow them outside in pots last year but no luck.  Do you mean plant them in the greenhouse and then put cnes behind them and train them up there.  I have seen something called vegetable netting which I have heard you can use, would that be any good.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 09:08:32 »
I use my empty (by May) 3 tier seed tray frame as a support for my cucumbers, and just wind the stems around it as they grow...I would have a problem fixing netting to my greenhouse frame, I think the thinner netting probably wouldn't support heavy cuckes as well.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2008, 09:13:53 »
If you are replying to me casey then I run the supports horizontally about 18 inches above the ground in the greenhouse or outside it does not matter. If they are in a pots then just train the plants horizontally along the sticks so that all of their growth is 18 inches above the ground. The cucumbers hang down from 18 inches above the ground. Does that make sense?
Outdoors I would not grow anything other than Burpless they do really well even in poor summers.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2008, 09:39:27 »
Worldor - unless you have heat in the 'house, are you not about 2 months too early??

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2008, 09:53:49 »
Tim - I did start them both in the house on top of the computer box for a little bottom heat then moved them to the window ledge when they had germinated. Would you suggest starting a new plant off then and when is best?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal