Author Topic: Cucumbers  (Read 7577 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Cucumbers
« on: January 13, 2008, 00:19:32 »
Last year I grew burpless tasty outdoors and it was a poor crop. I want to try a cucumber variety under glass this year. My wife buys loads of cucumbers to feed our guinea pigs (costing me a small fortune), To that end I am after a very heavy cropper of medium ish, sized cucumbers.

Suggestions please....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 00:58:59 »
In my opinion and with no shadow of a doubt..Carmen. It was in my greenhouse that flooded with several others types, all got mildew but the Carmen stayed strong and healthy and lived surrounded by struggling mildewed ones , Carmen itself didn't get a trace. I have always liked it but last year it went the extra mile and then some. Expensive seed though. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 13:52:26 »
we grow burpless in the poly, very prolific  :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 14:00:14 »
Landora. We only grow a couple of plants, but we had dozens & dozens of them!

(Never tried Carmen, but it sounds good.)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 14:17:41 »
I like `Birgit` but I can no longer get them wholesale so have switched to `Pepinex 69`.

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 14:59:04 »
In my opinion and with no shadow of a doubt..Carmen. It was in my greenhouse that flooded with several others types, all got mildew but the Carmen stayed strong and healthy and lived surrounded by struggling mildewed ones , Carmen itself didn't get a trace. I have always liked it but last year it went the extra mile and then some. Expensive seed though. XX Jeannine

Sounds like an excellent cuke to grow.  The write up on the Thompson and Morgan website is impressive:

A unique variety with resistance to all known strains of powdery mildew, scab and leaf-spot. Fruits are bitter free and produced in abundance - 50-100 per plant. Ideal for organic gardeners. Easy to train and day length sensitive. For maximum yield plant after 1st March. Excellent for exhibition.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 15:46:13 »
Carmen, yes.

But with any, I believe that the 100 figure is only likely to be hit with early warmth?

We can't plant until late May & only expect 50 each.

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 15:48:28 »
Carmen, yes.

But with any, I believe that the 100 figure is only likely to be hit with early warmth?

We can't plant until late May & only expect 50 each.

That is still far more than I would ever expect.  I have only grown ridge cucumbers and only got 2 to 3 fruit from each vine.  Anything more than that is a huge bonus to me.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 15:57:43 »
I do not believe T&M on this point, Tim is more accurate, I like them more because they grow so well. If you buy from T&M, and they offer a free seed packet ...PICK THIS ONE..or buy them when on sale only. I bought several packets half price at the end of last season. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 20:51:53 »
If both Tim & Jeannine recommend it, Carmen's got to be worth growing.

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 20:59:29 »
So far we havent done very well with cucumbers at all and get really confused with the removal of male flowers.  My father in law has recommended Femspot so this is not necessary.  Carmen sounds fantastic we have been lucky to get 3 from a plant last year!  is Carmen all female?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 21:21:41 »
Yes it is.  3 fruit is a bit mean-report says could do better.  8?-10?.12?-after that it`s a gold star-but can be done

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 22:25:19 »
Just a very small tuppence worth from me - I grow outdoor cucumber 'Salad Bush' in black buckets and I've never known anything so prolific.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 22:30:43 »
Just been checking the Carmen seeds at £7.99 for 5 they must be good.  Is it possible to save seed from them for subsequent years? dont think my budget can stretch to them unless i can convince myself we can save the seeds for future sowings!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 22:41:23 »
It's an F1 hybrid, so I don't think so. On the other hand, five seeds might do you for two years or even five!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 23:23:19 »
I said earlier and it is worth a second mention. T&M usually give you a free packet of your choice with an order, go for the Carmen!! Watch at the end of the season and grab what you can for half price. I have never paid full price for Carmen, it is just too expensive. XX Jeannine

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 22:27:14 »
Most Expensive
Single Packet of Seed Free
When You Spend £10.00 or More
When you spend £10 or more on seeds in this online catalogue the most expensive single packet will be made completely free of charge. All single packets of seed (excluding collections containing more than one foil) qualify for this amazing offer

Tenner's worth of T&M anyone? Do you suppose the £10 includes the most expensive?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 22:37:38 »
The answer is yes - I've just ordered a tenner's worth of seeds, and got the Carmen free, so with shipping got three packets including one of Carmen for a fiver. How do they afford it? ??? ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 22:40:16 »
Of course, I don't actually have a greenhouse, so if anyone would like some seeds?   :D

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 23:58:29 »
Oooh yes please! Will pm you

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal