Author Topic: HI EVERYONE - Need some help!  (Read 2565 times)

Producer

• Quarter Acre
HI EVERYONE - Need some help!
« on: January 12, 2008, 15:59:27 »
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and new to gardening. Im hoping some of you could help me and sort of guide me through things! Ive also joined another forum but not sure if it very active, so have joined this which seems to have a lot of members.

BACKGROUND STATUS - I got an allotment a couple of months ago - it is in quite a state as it was simply an overgrown area on the allotment site until I got it. And its also next to the railings, so as well as loads of weeds, there is lots of glass and litter. So I've got it covered with some black sheeting given from the bloke who runs the site. Also made a start at clearing it.

With Christmas over, Im going to get back to it and try get the whole thing cleared. But I have a few initial questions:

- I want a shed on it and the bloke said to try keep some of the rubble I come across to make a foundation. Well so far I havent cos its all intermingled with litter and glass! When I have the bit cleared (next to the railings) cant I just put paving slabs down and plonk the shed on that or do I have to make a foundation. If so, HOW DO I DO IT? Where else can I get rubble? Ive never really done DIY so do not have much knowledge. Any help will be appreciated! 

- Secondly, can someone explain to me the reason for raised beds? I understand the reason of compartmnetalising things for ease of moving around them. But do the beds have a bottom put in? Is it to stop weeds growing in them? Why do they need to be raised? Sorry if I am being stupid! Can the beds simply not be raised and be defined by paths of say straw? Im no doubt missing the point!!!

Any help is really appreciated! Thank you!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: HI EVERYONE - Need some help!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 16:37:19 »
hiya, director, welcome to the site, lots of lovely people on here, your post might be better in basics, more people will read it in there,
we have raised beds, more because the soli was waterlogged and I have mobility problems, we just laid the paths with cardboard, then weed control fabric, then wood chip to start with
then my oh built beds, ours are 12 to 18" high  :o
he put card on the bottom then loaded it with as much soil etc as he could, lo and behold, very raised beds,
some people just mound the soil from their paths on to the bed , some build sides, whichever way you do it, happy digging  :)
also, cover everything you do clear so the weeds stay away, just work on a bit at a time, little and often  ;D
by the way, if you go into our gallery, you will be able to see some of our raised beds  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 16:42:42 by manicscousers »

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 19:19:45 »
Hi, paving slabs will be fine for your shed to go on.
People have raised beds for various reasons amd people don't bother with them and use various things to define their beds e.g straw, wood chippings or bricks.
Also try to post a topic in the right section and you will get a better response  ;D

Anymore questions just ask and someone will answer  :D
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 18:10:41 »
Hi and welcome Director,
 You raise some points there to which many people will be more than happy to help with. As mentioned, the post might be better in the 'Basic' section.

Ken.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal