Author Topic: climbing squash  (Read 17515 times)

elsie

• Half Acre
Re: climbing squash
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 00:06:49 »
I know that last year wasn't a fantastic one for squash, but can I ask if anyone was successful with this method, and the varieties grown? (To get an idea of size of fruit) I would love to give it a try, so any advice would be great. Thanks  :)
Ooohhh, and photos would be wonderful!  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 00:53:20 »
Elsi they don't climb as such, but you can grow them vertically if you tie them in as they grow,it works well but you need to only grow the smaller ones . There is am Italian climbing one nut not a winter squash. I do it with some varieties. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 11:54:11 »
In addition to Jeannine's fantastic info on squash varieties and cross-pollination, I found this extremely informative blog, which has some excellent links.

Well worth a look, for both novice and expert squash growers.

http://seventrees.blogspot.com/2007/10/pie-dry-in-pumkpin-patch.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 15:44:05 »
One of my Crown Prince plants (a spare, bunged in next to the wire fence) managed to twine its way up the fence, and there were a couple of huge squash on it about 5 ft up. They are pretty tough, and I didn't even notice it was happening. I suppose it wouldn't have worked if I'd tried to do it  ;D

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 17:24:58 »
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can't get that link to open properly. :(
I'm definitely going to give this a go this year.  ;D

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 18:08:15 »
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can't get that link to open properly. :(
I'm definitely going to give this a go this year.  ;D

Works fine for me, Elsie. Anyone else having trouble?

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 21:52:53 »
Sorry Rob, tried internet explorer and it's fine, should have tried it sooner.  :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal